100 Days of Writing - 23

I'm taking this one class on publishing children's books and I cry every class.  Inevitably.  I'm not sure if it's my teacher's soft-spoken voice or the fact that I'm finally in a place to figure out how to do something I've always dreamed of doing, but it's an emotional process.

It's conjuring up some interesting stuff, some tough topics that are hard to address with kids, like loneliness and death.  We did this one exercise where you write about an object from the POV of a 5, 10 and 15 year old.

When I hit ten, and I was writing openly, the death of a little boy I once had at a school came up.  I found myself writing from the perspective of one of his broken-hearted friends, and the simplicity of the language contradicted the complexity of the emotion that was behind it.

Kids are resilient, it's an incredible thing to see in action, and as I expanded on that 10 year old's inner monologue, I was reminded of just how much strength they carry.  A very helpful, insightful exercise.

...

Iron & Wine,

Katie 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The cow bleeds and I benefit(ed)

relationsh*ts

Popcorn Farts