100 Days of Writing - Day 04

Time is going by quickly.  I've never been so conscious of days rolling by.  I decided to set myself an alarm to make sure I don't forget to post.  I've already snoozed it twice. 


I don't have too much to say other than I got the news today that my brother's Great Dane, Dexter, has a terminal illness and doesn't have long to live.  Absolutely heartbreaking news, and I can only imagine how hard it must be on Jon to know this about his companion of 3 years. 

News travels fast, especially bad news.  When I got the text and called him immediately, Gracie, my black lab, perked up and positioned herself close to me because I guess my tone was grave and concerned.  She could tell something was wrong and that there was a sadness in my voice as I spoke to my brother. 

Dogs!

Goddamnit! 

DOGS!

Gracie was like, "I'm here for you, human.  Pet me so as to alleviate your stress."

And it totally helped, me... but my heart was and is breaking for my bro.  He got Dexter roughly three years ago and was so excited to adopt this big friendly giant into his life.  He's a beige beauty, with dark eyes and bony hips.  He's got an entire couch to himself in the living room and so be it - ughh it hurts to know his days are limited.

I've had my dog for 10 years.  There's not a day that goes by that I don't recognize how grateful I am to have this pure, kooky, tender beast in my life.  She's in her senior years but you wouldn't know it yet.  Her fur, for the most part, has remained black and just has a few tufts of white growing on her chin.  Her spirit is youthful, fresh, and keen for play or food.  Always keen for food.  She is a lab after all.

One day I'll write more about this love of my life, but tonight I submit a gratitude prayer for dogs everywhere.

Dear paws and fur and wet nose,

Thank you for bringing me joy and light every day.
Thank you for blessing my life with your loyalty and your love.
Thank you for your presence, your surveillance, and your protection.

Thank you dog ears, for being the softest thing I've touched.
Thank you tail for showing me your happiness.
Thank you collar, for making that unforgettable jingle that I cherish.
Thank you bark, for giving me something to think about.

Thank you, sweet dog, for your time here, and your energy.
Thank you for choosing me to share your earthly presence with.
Thank you time, for slowing down enough when I need it to.

Thank you, dog, for being my best friend.

Clock ticking,
Katie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Popcorn Farts

The cow bleeds and I benefit(ed)

relationsh*ts