100 Days of Writing - 07

Taking a prompt tonight:

"Describe the most beautiful sound you have ever heard."

It was probably late 1997 and I was enjoying a lazy Saturday afternoon, watching MusiquePlus (Much) videos.  I had just left the couch to get a drink from the kitchen and a commercial for an upcoming episode of Concert Plus came on and the shrill of Jeff Buckley's voice hit me somewhere so deep, it stopped me in my tracks.  I rushed back to the TV to see what or WHO the hell that was, because his voice was unlike anything I'd ever heard before.  It was guttural, then high pitched, and the melody told a story that instantly made me want more.


I made a note of the time it would be airing, and remember kids this was before YouTube and SVOD so you got what you got when you got it.  But I was prepared.  Equipped with a VCR, I recorded the Live In Chicago concert and so began my lifelong love affair with Jeff Buckley (and his music).

This would make for interesting debate, but I don't believe another singer is able to hit the notes Jeff did with as much emotion packed in, or at least no one I was listening to at the time was able to convey every confusing feeling I'd ever felt up to that point in my teenagedom.  It's like he lived a thousand pains and loved a thousand loves and his vocal chords channeled all of this energy and emotion and made love out of a sound.  To me, his voice is love.  Like a warm blanket, it comforts me to no end.

Grace took me some getting used to as I had essentially memorized every moment and tonal change from the live show but it certainly didn't take me long to love it equally in CD form.  I imagine the concert was being aired soon after his death in '97, and I count myself lucky to never have had to mourn his loss.  I cried enough as it was listening to his music!



In 2012 I went to Memphis and dipped my feet in the Mississippi River so that I could pay homage to my all-time favourite musician.  I got stuck in the mud and realized how quickly accidents happen and who knows what really happened to the guy, but... he's certainly someone special, and I'm forever grateful I was tuned into MusiquePlus at that time on that day, and that I got out of the Memphis quicksand!


Jeff Buckley,

Katie


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The cow bleeds and I benefit(ed)

relationsh*ts

Popcorn Farts