100 Days of Writing - 01

Hello.

I cannot be sure I will be successful in this commitment, but I am sure that if I am, 100 Days of Writing will do me some real good as a creator.  So here goes nothing.

I never felt very comfortable calling myself a writer.  I thought to be a writer, I have to have works published, eyes on my lines, an income of some kind that pointed to a success, but tonight after searching for a little tape, I spilled my box of journals and notebooks out and nearly 100 books came out.  "Goddamn," I thought to myself.  "Why am I always doubting myself?"

It's a new year and a new me and I'm sitting at my new writing nook hoping that 2019 brings more vastness than I've previously known, that I accomplish big dreams on a small scale and that I continue taking steps to the big "What If" of my heart.

I didn't think I'd be in school, that's a sure thing.  It was an idea I'd been toying with for a few years, something that other people did but not me.  The unknown is big and scary and I never thought I would figure out how to make it work - but, as my friend Danielle pointed out to me last night as we sipped gin and tonics and ate new year's eve cheese, I did.  I did figure out how to make it work and I'm doing the thing that I've been wanting to do, secretly maybe.

It's not as wonderful as I imagined it would be, it's damn hard and I don't like being a student all that much, but the things that I am learning and the people I am meeting are damned good.  It's exciting to think about what may come next, and I look forward to receiving a sweet sweet paycheque again some day.

I am who I am, I'm a creative who longs for structure and income and good will and positive influence on the youths of today, and I'll keep moving forward until I feel like I've found something that needs me for a while.  I'm looking, I'm open, and I'm keen as fuck.

When I was cleaning earlier today I went through old boxes and came across a lot of signs that I'm where I'm supposed to be in life, however incomplete it may feel right now.  Finding notes and drawings from old students and a grad pic with "you're going to change lives, I'm living proof" signed on the back... felt like I was unearthing diamonds among the rough paperwork that is my past.

It's crazy how people can have confidence in you, and what a lasting impact that has.  Those voices that remind us of our good and our potential, the hardest parts of realizing self-love.  When people see something in you that you kinda see, but not always so clearly.. it's really lovely to remember what it is when you're feeling a little (or very) uncertain.

I won't pretend like there will be highly advanced writing on this blog for the next little while, or that I'll for sure get past day 10, but I want to write more stories and more essays and poems and just see what I come up with.

And, as usual, I will sign off a piece with my writing soundtrack, which may or may not always be LCD Soundsystem.

Cheers mates, happy new year.

LCD Soundsystem,
Katie


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The cow bleeds and I benefit(ed)

relationsh*ts

Popcorn Farts