Stand Up.

Sitting in my favorite café at 9:35 on a Saturday morning.  I can definitely say I've never done this before, but have always admired the people I peek in on when I drive by, should I be up this early on a weekend.  I always find people look so cozy inside a café, warm cup of coffee by their side.

I spent the night taking pictures of friends and I was too eager to look at them, so here I am.  My friend Lise was doing stand-up at a loft and she asked me to take some shots during her set.  I happily obliged and am happy I went; she was very funny and we ended up hanging out at TSC after with a couple other hooligans, laughing the night away. 

Lise and I were talking about standup on the way to the theatre.  It's got to feel like the most vulnerable experience you could put yourself in.  You're on-stage, in front of a group of people, with a spotlight and microphone... being yourself.  All eyes on you.  I honestly can't tell you what makes a successful stand-up, other than a funny one of course, but I'm sure it has something to do with perseverence.  Just keep getting up there, telling jokes.

My dad always encouraged me to pursue stand-up.  I may be funny onstage, but that's because I get to hide myself inside a character.  I've never been good at recounting funny experiences with the same hilarity as when they occured, but I'd say my oral story-telling skills are definitely improving.  So that's a start.  I just need to keep getting up there, wherever "there" may be.  The stage, the classroom, the café, wherever, moving forward, being myself.

Peace and love and coffee,

Katie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The cow bleeds and I benefit(ed)

relationsh*ts

Popcorn Farts