Purple carrots, purple hearts

Do you remember where you were the first time your boyfriend or girlfriend said "I love you?"  The first time any boy ever said that to me was in the garage of my old house in Saint-Hilaire.  I think I was walking him out and I recall a double-sided cheek grab and then "I love you."  Surrounded by dampness and tools, it was no surprise that fizzled after a couple of months.

The second time was on a porch and it was really meaningful.  I almost said it back but wasn't sure it was time.  He'd dropped me off, and we'd spent every day together for the first 6 months of our relationship.  We're still friends today.  The third occasion was in the backseat of a cab on a drunken ride back to the city from my sister's house, after an incident involving too much booze and a chip on a shoulder.  I said it back.  Shoulda known better.

Sometimes we follow the drama, when we're better off following our heart.

Yesterday I did a photoshoot involving two carrots that grew intertwined(ly).  I receive a basket from the farm I'm working on and thought it would be nice to share the purple carrots with staff and students at my school.  When I opened the bag to check them out, the first one I pulled out was the heart-shaped pair, forever wrapped up in their love.  For whatever reason, these two carrots felt nothing more natural than to twist and grow around each other, and that's gotta be the best option when it comes to relationships today.

Examine your love, your mate, feed off their good qualities, nourish each other, and when you feel like you're being yanked out of the earth, stick together and you'll make it through.

As much as I'm tempted to try to separate these two, it seems only fitting to let them turn to compost and return to the earth, together.  It's what they would have wanted.

Peace and love,

Katie




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The cow bleeds and I benefit(ed)

relationsh*ts

Popcorn Farts