Into the Wild

I'm officially on summer vacation.  And quite a summer it's shaping up to be.  Five weeks of travel, reflection, and writing.  And woods. I need me some woods.  I'm taking off to lake Sioui in a few hours, a private property near Lac-Des-Plages owned by my Uncle Herbie and his family.  It's secluded and wonderful.  A lake, a cabin and a gazebo.  That's all I want right now.  Later on in July I'm road tripping it to Winnipeg with my mom, aunt and cousin.  We're going to retrace some of my grandfather's life; he grew up there.

It's been a hell of a year. 

Most people I've spoken to about this, agree: 2010 sucked.  It was just a miserable year for so many people.  I don't know why, but consensus was that it blew.  2011, on the other hand: great so far.  Personally it's working out because of this outlet I've developped since February.  Although I feel cheesy when I say that I write a blog, it's been a life-enhancing journey, and I'm only getting started. 

I used to stifle myself with boredom, when I was disconnected from my inner self.  I kept trying to distract myself with unsatisfying outward stimuli so that I wouldn't go in, into my wild self. I suppose I was afraid that if I stopped working on my life (aka job, school, relationship, etc), I might lose control. As if being spiritual would somehow destroy all order in life. But there was a beast waiting to get out, and now that she's being attented to, the creative abundance seems unlimited.  So that's a plus.  And I feel more in control and in balance than ever.  Being a libra, balance is a lifelong struggle. 

Throughout those disconnected years, there were many hints that I needed to 'go in,' and do some spiritual spelunking.  I often used the term "soul searching" but I was truly looking for my spirit, not pondering within it.  My soul was AWOL.  I think so many of us just want to get by and be able to function with all the tasks and responsibilities on our shoulders, that our own well-being gets shelved, backburnered and put on hold, indefinitely.  Like we save wellness for a rainy day. 

I have a terrible habit of buying books and not reading them.  My shelves are full of really intelligent titles like A New Earth and Women Who Think Too Much, but I spend too much time thinking that I don't end up reading. I've been saving some of those books for a fantasy rainy day, which is a metaphor for the motivation I hope I will one day have to actually read all these great books. I start them, but my brain can't focus long enough to get through it unless it's a really great read.  Don't get me wrong, I love reading, I just don't do it often. 

Anyway, books or spirituality, whichever aspect of your inner life you may be neglecting, deserves some attention.  It may unlock a part of you that has been dying to get out.  But it's a scary place in there, where the wild things are, right?  Sometimes you just have to hold your breath and take the plunge.  You won't drown, you won't lose it, but you will take a break.  Maybe you meditate, drink tea or write, whatever it is, keep doing it.  At some point, it gets easier and reflecting becomes a regular part of your day, just like brushing your teeth or walking the dog. 

That's if you're interested in taking the risk.  I think some people feel safer living out here, and I'm using my arms to define the space.  Whatever works for you!

In a few days I shall return from the woods with some new recipes for the 99 for 29 project I'm kicking off today!  And they'll be wilderness-friendly.  This feels like it's going to be an important weekend.  Into the Wild I go.

Paul Dempsey,

Katie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

relationsh*ts

The cow bleeds and I benefit(ed)

Popcorn Farts