Please Please me.

Cesar Milan says your pets are a reflection of you, and any behavioral problems they may exhibit is in direct relation to who you are and what is going on in your life.  I couldn't agree more.  Gracie, my 3 year old black lab, is a perpetual puppy.  She's sweet, loving, and has perfectly good intentions.  It's just that sometimes, she is a brat.

I hibernate during the winter.  I can't stand the cold and although I think snow is beautiful, I'd rather do without.  I've been ready for Spring since December.  This means that I have been openly neglecting my dog's needs.  Shitty, I know.  So she becomes restless because she doesn't get the amazing hour walk and subsequent excursion to the dog park she normally gets every day every other season.  So when I walk her these days, down the street and back to avoid the cold, she pulls.  She pulls and sometimes I go flying, my knees buckling down the steps of our apartment building, shoulder socket trying to stay put.  It's like she's trying to get in as much exercise as she can in the short distance because we'll soon head back into the building, me with my invisible but very apparent, irresponsible-dog-owner-tail between my legs.

Today she made me think of Cesar's belief.  I can honestly say my life has never felt more "in order" and happy, so as Gracie frantically dragged me up a snowbank so she could pop a squat, I wondered if I had any unfinished business that may be contributing to her hyper status.  Pondering it for only a moment, I came up with nothing.  I'll blame it on the winter until I find out more about myself.  In the meantime though, it got me thinking about how life is always a reflection of what is really going on inside of you.

When my bedroom is messy, I know life is getting busy and I better deal with any stress before it gets worse. When things are quieter, my room is higher on the priority list and I find it effortless to put away the third outfit I tried on before settling and going out on a Friday night.  Mind you, I've been on vacation all week, and have had all the time in the world to clean, but there are still clothes strewn all over the place, so maybe my theory is bullshit.  Or maybe there are just way more interesting things on my mind at the moment.

Regardless, you know what I'm saying.  The last few weeks, I've been making a conscious effort to clean up my life and deal with any nagging spiritual tasks I've been putting off forever.  I made peace with a few things and a few people, and can feel the reflection my life is sending back to my inner self is very much in line with the joy I feel.  Things are good.

Wow.  I just re-read that last sentence about 4 times and all I could come up with is, "things are good."  I think I'm surprised.  I've never felt this way before.  I've always had a reason to complain!  Well hopefully this is a step in a very positive direction.  I don't expect to always feel like this, in fact I always want to have a reason to challenge myself and grow, but for now, I'll ride the wave.  See where it takes me.  I'm sure it will be somewhere very interesting.

As I went about my day today, I wondered about how other people might be feeling.  Like if they feel happy, but have unresolved relationships with people, are they truly happy?  Whatever works, and to each their own, but I know in my heart I can't carry grudges.  Maybe that has to do with the "nice factor" in me, something I can't help but be, I'm a people-pleaser after all, but in the end, it pleases me.  I'm okay with being nice.  Are you?

Peace and love,
Katie

Comments

  1. Katie this entry was like a huge kick in the pants for me! Kind of hurts but needed to be done, getting the things in life in order is a new priority for me too because chaos is easy for a while but you're right it starts to reflect in your environment. Soo, thankyou for this post and I'm so excited for you for everything you've done this far! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Carly! Trust the process. That's where the learning is. Good on ya girl!

    PS- You are fabulous! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The cow bleeds and I benefit(ed)

relationsh*ts

Popcorn Farts