dill - icious.

I am a kitchen fairy.  My wand is my spatula.  I just spent the last 3 hours in my kitchen, making all kinds of crazy things.  I am high on Dill.  No joke.  I'm hyper and energized and my eyes are tearing a little bit.  I've danced all night.  Danced fast, danced in slow-motion, whatever the tunes called for.  I've got my awesome Minnie Mouse apron on, high around my waist so I feel like I'm in the 50s, and have taken over 100 pictures of my insanely minty evening.  I'm probably overtired to tell you the truth, but I feel fantastic.

Mint 'n' Dill.  Holy taste sensation.  Mint 'n' Dill.  Mint 'n' Dill.  Mint 'n' Dill.  I could go on.  I'm saying it in my head like that old Kibbles 'n' Bits commercial.  I know it's hard to believe.  But it: is: sensational. 

It occurred to me a while ago that it would be delicious to combine these two strong herbs and sure enough, it worked out.  Today I was in my favorite Indian grocer and when I saw the two bunches sitting in their bins, I knew tonight would be the night to make it happen.

It's like I played matchmaker in my mouth.  But their love story goes beyond the kitchen.  I've whipped out my trusty Whole Foods Encyclopedia (you gotta get one - by Rebecca Wood), and here's the whats-what.

Dill is a warming food, that actually helps calm the spirit.  Strange, because I'm feeling so zesty at the moment, but it is also supposed to help digestion and insomnia due to indigestion.  It makes perfect sense that I've been craving it lately because I've been having a very hard time falling asleep at night.  My stomach's been getting upset, probably because I've been having very light suppers and am more used to having something heavy in the PM.  I wind up trying to soothe it with an old-fashioned belly rub like I did as a kid when my tum-tum hurt, so I'll let you know if the dill helps.  Dill also controls infection and if you're pregnant or nursing, it promotes lactation.  Apparently helps alleviate menstrual issues too.  Good to know, I'll bank that info. for next month.

Now Mint on the other hand, is a cooling food that helps circulate chi (the life force).  I'm down with that.  Mint helps get rid of viruses or bacteria, promotes energy and circulation of blood.  Turns out it's also good for painful menstruation and mastitis.  Hey, it's women's day!!  Furthermore, it helps treat inflammation, nausea, indigestion, migraines, and liver problems.  Nothing like a mint tea after a big meal.  Or before bed.

Upon returning from the store, I unloaded my materials and got to work.  Did a few dishes first, and then laid out the goods.  Dill on the left, Mint on the right.  I don't know why I'm capitalizing the foods like this, but they deserve it.  They're good for me.  I did a lame photoshoot to try and take cute pictures, as if they were part of a stop-motion romance movie.  Slight sidenote, but if I ever get married, I want my bouquet to be made up primarily of Dill and Mint.  :D

I checked my cupboards to see what I had in stock to make some sort of dillmint dip.  I found some brazil nuts and promptly threw them in the blender with some water, garlic, olive oil and a little bit of sea salt.  That's your basic paste.  Next came the dill.  I began inhaling the fumes as I chopped it up and the energy was definitely circulating.  Add to blender.  I tried a bite.  Yum.  But not done.  I added the mint.  A little bit more water.  Wow.  Oooh la-raw. Pretty good.  But something was missing.  The garlic was still slightly overpowering.  I decided to up the ante and add even more dill and mint.  So I did.  What came next enhanced the entire experience to a level I never thought possible.  Are you ready for it?

Lemon.

I squeezed half a lemon into the mixture and upon blending it, was completely possessed by the food's spiritual energy or chi as they call it.  A band with a dirty name, STRFKR, playing in the background, I found myself swaying back and forth, arms reaching out in front of me and in back like a devoted contemporary dancer.  My neighbors must think I'm nuts.  Who am I??  I like it.  What can I say?  Food inspires me.  Not that long ago I was totally intimidated by it.

***

Dill and Mint were meant to be together.  Lemon is what brought them together.  (I'm definitely Mint in this senario) Have I found my Dill?  Where is the lemon?  All you happy couples out there, I'd love to know what your lemon is.

Once upon a time, I'd say music was mine.  Johnny Cash to be more specific, he always seemed to find a way to weave himself in at exactly the right moment and create some magic.  I'm ready for some magic again. Only this time I hope Dill doesn't turn into a Di-.

Feeling good.  Feeling happy.  Feeling savvy.  Feelin' it.

Peace and Love,

Katie

PS.  I ate the awesome Mint 'n' Dill dip with a few carrots and also some chips.  Threw together some mint and dill crackers which are currently dehydrating and capped the evening with kale chips à la curry et maple syrup.  Yeah man.  Think about it.

Comments

  1. when I'm not so lazy I will try some of these things Katie, probably when I get home. Keep on trucking girl

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The cow bleeds and I benefit(ed)

relationsh*ts

Popcorn Farts