Comfort of Food

Why is it that when I'm sick I crave nothing but comfort foods?  And why are comfort foods usually bad for me?

I've had a weird stomach flu the last week, hence the lack of motivational posts.  I could barely conjure a sentence beyond "woe is me," so there was no way I could come up with anything clever or the least bit positive-sounding.  But I'm feeling better now so I'll try to spit something out.

I must have picked up a bug working at the theatre last Wednesday because the nausea set in Thursday and is still lingering a bit today.  I actually think I may be having a reaction to staring at a computer screen for such long periods of time nowadays, and my eyes and brain can't keep up with each other so I'm getting seasick on my couch.

It's official, I need a hobby outside of this apartment.

Anyhoo, I went to my mom's on Saturday, all pathetic and sleepy-like and she made me the ultimate comfort food: a grilled cheese and tomato soup.  This is my feelgood meal.  A delicious, melt in your mouth processed grilled cheese sandwich dipped in warm creamy tomato-ee soup. Nothing beats it.  Mmm-mmm-MMM!

Me and grilled cheese sandwiches go way back.  I remember only ever ordering a grilled cheese from my favorite Zellers restaurant, with a jello for dessert as a kid.  (Montenach Mall, Beloeuil, anyone?) It became a tradition. I guess that's why it's become a comfort food.  Something I ate as a kid that always gave me that feelgood vibe.  Now it's a feelgood food.  I like the ring of that.

Later on in my weekend I remembered I should probably try to restore the flora in my digestive system so I got a good fruity green base in, but later craved pizza and indulged.  Why, right?  Why would I want to eat crap when I have a stomach flu?  I guess I was just grateful that I was willing to eat anything so I rolled with it.  And now thankfully, by Tuesday I'm feeling much better and am back to craving vegetables.

I guess most comfort foods are usually considered "unhealthy" because we eat them as kids and are so busy enjoying them that we stay quiet, and feel comforted by the special treat.  I wonder how many people out there have always enjoyed uber healthy comfort foods?  And obviously we crave those foods when we're sick because our moms aren't right beside us all the time or because Saturday morning cartoons just ain't what they used to be.  It's a nostalgic feeling we like to recreate when we're feeling disconnected from ourselves.  So I'll continue to indulge when I'm not feeling well, I just have to remember to start with a good base.

You'd think I'd remember the "stay away from dairy" rule, but nahhhh...

March is nutrition month, eat a carrot!

Peace and love,

Katie

Comments

  1. Im totally going home to make a grilled cheese RIGHT NOW. I completely forgot about how awesome fried bread and cheese is!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The cow bleeds and I benefit(ed)

relationsh*ts

Popcorn Farts