Venus Envy

Yesterday evening I found myself hiking up a giant hill in the pursuit of Venus.  I'd heard l'Université de Montréal was inviting people up to the mountain to observe the Venus Transit, and when I got to the top of the hill I realized I was in the wrong place.  The music department.  A graduation.  Not Venus.

I turned around frustrated with myself, and google mapped my way to the right spot.  I arrived and found maybe a hundred people or so lazing about on the grass, sitting, waiting, watching.  Cameras and telescopes were set up along the way, some serious high-tech gear.  I looked around to see if I knew anyone but was surprised that it was mostly young people hanging out.  I spoke to someone who told me we were waiting for the clouds to clear.

I sat down and paused while I checked my surroundings, like we were waiting for God or a UFO or something magical to descend from the sky.  Instead we were just watching clouds gathering, until they grew dark enough that it was time to go before the rain ruined the equipment and our hopeful spirits.

I felt kind of sad for the people taking apart their telescopes, giving up on this lost opportunity.  Never again in their lifetime will they be able to witness the crossing of Venus.  Part of me wanted to stick around just to feel like I didn't give up hope, but then again... That's become a bad habit of mine, it turns out.

I haven't written in a while as I've been in somewhat of a transit myself.  I finally moved out of my awful apartment and into a wonderful one in the plateau and am slowly feeling grounded again.  I've been living out of boxes for literally 6 months, so it's nice to finally feel like I can get settled and have my own space.

Spending three months in a bad place has built a stronger person in me, and I now understand I had to go there in order to make the transition.  I predicted in January that the universe was setting me up for something very important, that the next place I would be moving into was going to be incredibly significant.  Now I didn't predict the mice or the bullshit landlord, but I learned a great deal about myself, and was able to get rid of a lot in the meantime.  I've let go of a lot of baggage, both emotionally and physically.  I threw out and gave away so much stuff I reduced my belongings to a few pieces of furniture and bins.  It's a nice feeling.

I think what I've learned is that... when the clouds come in, sometimes you gotta just pack up and go.  The sun will be back.  The sky will clear.  Life will continue to revolve and evolve, even if you're not there to watch every moment.  Every painful moment.  When you feel like you have no control over a situation, realize you do.  Take note, make a route, and get to the place you need to be, to be a happier person. 

I remember writing a blog just as I was moving into this last place, feeling strong and confident, ready to take on the world, and it's that determination that got me through it.  At the time I didn't realize what awaited me, but in a way I'm prouder because of it.  "Life is a giant slapfest of late, but I'm not backing down."

Hell no.  Never again.

Peace ya'll,
Katie


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The cow bleeds and I benefit(ed)

relationsh*ts

Popcorn Farts