Nashville

5 or 6 years ago I decided I wanted to go to Nashville.  I went to PEI instead.  Today, just now in fact, I booked a week in Music City and it's about time I did.

As I sit in my lovely kitchen in my lovely plateau apartment, I can hear my downstairs' neighbor singing along to a romantic French song... We all have it in our hearts and I just love how certain tunes can set our hearts flying.

I'll be spending at least a day or two in Memphis, I've always wanted to go to Graceland and it turns out Cory Branan is playing a show the Friday I'd planned to leave so maybe I'll have to detour there again.  I've seen him perform twice already in a few months; he was a member on The Revival Tour, which redirected my life in a way I can only describe as serendipitous.  But it was no accident I was there.  At the time I was still living in the mouse house and seeing that show ignited a new focus for me.

Over the past year I've been taking steps towards a stronger sense of personal security, and a lot of it has been about letting go of worries and anxiety over putting myself in a place of vulnerability.  I avoided certain spots and shows because of people that, at the risk of sounding dramatic, have caused me pain and I didn't want to see them.  But once you let go of that and realize they don't have a hold on your life anymore, it's liberating to feel the confidence of going solo to a show.  It's about the music, not about the people that are there.

So going to Nashville will not only give me the opportunity to explore a place of great history and sounds, but it's also about reclaiming the independence I gave up 6 years ago for someone else.  It will be pretty epic, and I can't wait to take 2000 pictures, see guitars and old-timers, Elvis memorabilia and maybe the new Johnny Cash museum if it's open.

Heading on down to Nashville,
Going to see what I can see.
It's time I leave this city I'm in,
These streets are grating on me.

Cory Branan,

Katie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The cow bleeds and I benefit(ed)

relationsh*ts

Popcorn Farts