S-T-Y-L-E

I was just listening to 6 Underground by Sneaker Pimps and was brought right back to high school.  I remember doing my hair to match the singer's, and in my convoluted teenage brain, I thought I looked just like her.

The music industry has such power of style.  Growing up, watching music videos, garnering my own identity from the pieces of my idols' influence, I was quite the mismatched, hybrid of a teenager.  I dressed like a hippie-skater-raver-gramma-boy, had misguided aspirations to be like Janis Joplin, thought wearing corduroy on both top and bottom was cool and once sewed back together a dress belonging to my mother in the seventies, from a well in my grandparents' front yard.  It was surprisingly well-preserved in a garbage bag, save for the thread that biodegraded over the years.

I remember the day, and even though most of my family members probably thought I was crazy, they didn't stop me.  I wasn't one of those teenagers trying to wear shorter skirts than I should or exposing more skin to gain attention... Instead I was an explosion of myself, with rainbow bell-bottoms and giant beaded necklaces.

It became difficult to refine my style once I started working in an office at age 19, and wound up wearing a lot of my sister's hand-me-down work clothes.  I never felt comfortable in the slip-lined skirts and billowy blouses, and once got frowned on for not wearing nylons in the Fall.  I didn't know these rules existed; I was used to making up my own.

Nowadays as an adult, I feel less influenced by the people I admire and more confident in making my style choices.  It's all about feeling comfortable in your own skin and wanting to compliment your individuality in the most pleasant way possible.  I think that's what style is.

Then again, I'll admit to punking myself out if I'm going to a show but I'll wear a dress at a school assembly, so it's also about dressing for the part.

For a great flashback: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eBZqmL8ehg

For a fun look at music and style: http://www.jamesmollison.com/project_disciples.php



Sneaker Pimps,

Katie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The cow bleeds and I benefit(ed)

relationsh*ts

Popcorn Farts