You've Got a Friend in Me

Sometimes I picture myself in miniature sitting in the corner of a musician's heart, knees bent, palm under jaw, wondering where their wisdom comes from.  How did you get here and how the hell do you translate your feelings into such beautiful music?

Then other times I'm baffled at my absolute musical ineptitude.  I wish it wasn't so; I even dreamed of myself playing a giant white acoustic guitar on-stage last night.  Someday soon I'm going to learn the drums and then everything will change.  Hhahaha.

Prior to dreaming of myself in a band last night, I was at my friend Big James' Endast album fundraiser show.  I sat next to a really old guy and frowned on the punk girls' fox tail purse accessory.  I mean I wanted to puke all over them.  At one point they were standing next to each other, and it looked like an ironic PETA ad.  One of them was even wearing a fur vest to boot. I stopped myself from posting a picture with a nasty comment but still... Come on girls!

Obscurity Rising opened the show, a band from my family's hometown of Lachute, who I thoroughly enjoyed.  Later Derelict kicked some serious ass, their singer totally commanded his frontman post, and finally Endast headlined around midnight.

As I watched the impressive headbanging and long locks fan about, I thought about my friendship with this rockstar in front of me.

James and I met at Dawson, when we co-hosted a metal/hardcore radio show at CIXS.  Half the time he didn't show up and half the time I didn't know what I was doing, but somehow a great friendship was born.  It got me thinking about friendships that stand the test of time.

I noticed a friend of mine posted something on Facebook along the same lines... How you know who your true friends are when you reach out and ask for help. 

What happens to us?  How do we value our friendships?  What level of care needs to be shown to prove yourself as a friend?

I think it boils down to giving.  Giving what you can, whether it be time to hear your friend out, advice to boost your friend back up, love to warm their heart, or simply trust; trust that even though I might not say it all the time, I might not show it all the time, but I care about you.  I care about who you are, and who you're becoming.

With things like Facebook, it's easier to stay in touch with your friends and their lives, but once-removed.  It's still slightly impersonal right?  Sometimes - to remind yourself and others that you're just as in love with who they are today as you were years ago, you just need to show up.  In person.  And that makes the difference.

Peace, love, and Adam Arcuragi,

Katie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The cow bleeds and I benefit(ed)

relationsh*ts

Popcorn Farts