FML

You know, sometimes life just feels like a series of unfortunate events.  On my way in from a pleasant walk this evening the door shut on my foot and ruined my new shoes, left me with a bruised toe.  Thursday I found out I wouldn't be moving into my new apartment after all, instead into a temporary flat one floor down for about a week.  Friday night I almost broke my nose when my dog headbutted me while I was brushing her.  I had a big bump and an even bigger scare; just what I need: a broken nose on the eve before moving into my new place.

Needless to say I've been feeling a little frustrated with life lately.  I could keep adding to this list but in the back of my mind there's a little voice telling me to toughen up.  It's a pretty tiny voice actually, it's just learning how to speak up for herself.

My friend Kirsten Rasmussen, above and beyond being a huge inspiration to me, is a very talented writer and performer.  She put on her one-woman/multi-character show a few weeks ago called Tough, which left me thoroughly impressed and wanting to face my seriously wimpy side.  But I was too much of a wimp, so life stepped in and helped.

When things seem to take a turn for the worse, when crappy events begin occurring on a daily basis, it's so easy for me to cower away and wallow in self-pity.  (I am really good at that).  I'm pretty sure I've mastered the art, as a matter of fact, and if Jeff Buckley was alive, I'm sure he'd agree because his music was a witness to the brunt of it.  I ask a lot of questions and stew and overthink and figure there's a greater purpose, which doesn't get me very far most of the time.  On the odd occasion though, it helps me write.  ;)

Throughout it all, over these past few weeks, that little voice has been there to tell me to toughen up and deal with these misfortunes.  It's not a voice I'm used to hearing because I've silenced her for so long and I still need to work on listening to her, but she's there.  And that's a start. I'll admit sometimes I wish life was kind of easier and that things just fell into my lap once in a while, but that's a question of perspective.

My blog turns 1 tomorrow.  I'm pretty excited.  I'm planning on celebrating by.. probably writing another blog. No surprise there.

It's been a crazy year, I've learned a lot about myself in the process, and the journey is only beginning.

My pleasant walk this evening consisted of heading to Esposito's to pick up a few groceries then over to Village des Valeurs to look for records.  I almost bought a Neil Diamond vinyl and some old hardcore cds, but I decided to let the pleasure remain in the experience.

If moving for the fourth time in the past 5 years has taught me anything, it's that joy does not exist in things, they are a pain to move.  Joy exists in life experience and in the people that are by your side to support you and help you move along your way.  So here's to family and friends, you're all important to me.

Happy Birthday bloggity blog blog,

We Are Augustines,
Katie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The cow bleeds and I benefit(ed)

relationsh*ts

Popcorn Farts