Trust and Tattoos

I  just got tattooed.  I got an anchor on my foot.  It's awesome and lovely and I'm still feeling energized by the experience.  Tatooatouage was doing a fundraiser for Japan and all the money raised will go to the Red Cross.  I wound up getting something way bigger and more detailed than originally planned but I love it so it's okay.

The tattoo artist was Manu Ghiselli, a good-looking Frenchman from Corsica, touring here for three months.  This was my first time doing a "walk-in" so I'm glad I was paired with this guy.  He was superstitious and had a piece of red coral on a necklace, which matched the one I have tattooed on my calf.  A good sign, I figure.

Getting tattooed is such an intimate experience for me.  Handing over my skin to a stranger who will mark it for the rest of my life, although exciting, is a big sign of trust for me.  Trusting in people.  Trusting in their abilities, and trusting in myself for making a commitment that big.  Trust is not easy to give for a lot of people, and it's easy to break.

I've learned over the years you've got to take risks when it comes to people, and trust more in yourself than in others.  Trust in your strength as a person, trust in your resilience, and trust in your willingness to believe in those around you, while at the same time trusting that others will do the same.  I've certainly had my trust broken, and struggled with how to recover, but we all have, and we still engage in seeking intimacy and building connections with others.  That says a lot.  I guess our heart is what drives us to do so.

I tried to observe the artist as much as possible while he was tattooing my foot. The curve of his gently flexed bicep, his messy hair, the big scar on his neck.  I know that I'll probably never see him again, but he's left his mark on my body, forever, so I figured I should try to remember him as much as possible.  So now I'm wondering what sort of mark I leave on others.  I'm pretty sure it's a good one, generally speaking, unless you catch me in the middle of a stressful situation, but I go out of my way to make people happy.  Sometimes I don't always honor true feelings for the sake of others, but I figure I can tough it out.

Trust, taking risks, getting tattoos, leaving your mark.  Honestly today couldn't be going any better.  And I'm so glad to say I got to spend it with my mom.  But she'll tell you more about her experience some other time.  :)  She's full of courage, that one.

Love you,

K to the A.

One last thing before I go.  I was trying to describe to my mom what I love about artists and all those who fall under that category, why I'm attracted to them.  It's because they wear their art on their sleeve.  It follows them wherever they go, and they can't help but be expressive and emotional beings.  Art comes from the heart, and I like people with big hearts.  Artists wear their H-art on their sleeve.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The cow bleeds and I benefit(ed)

relationsh*ts

Popcorn Farts