Musing Music

You ever listen to the right kind of music and feel like everything's going to be okay?  Music that speaks to the soul: ain't nothing like it.  Sometimes I make a face like I'm in pain because the music is so good and I'm limited to my body's expression, when I just want to burst.

I believe I get my love of music from my grandfather.  From way back I always remember him tapping his foot at the sound of a musical beat, flawlessly taking in the rhythm.  I can't help but bop my head the moment a tune grabs my attention.  I used to put on my grandmothers' dresses and do the jive with Grampa, a memory I'll cherish forever.  I love to dance to music and I love to cry to music too.  Jeff Buckley's Grace is my go-to when it's time to purge the tears and has been since I was 15.  Haven't done that in a while, maybe I'm due.  Doing anything to music makes it more enjoyable.  It helps the body find a way to express its reaction to the awesomeness your brain is trying to interpret.

In high school I wrote a story about a girl who goes to her older brother's party and everyone's getting high on music.  Standing on tables, plugged in to their discmen and grooving with their hands in the air and their belly-buttons popping out.  I'm not even going to try to count how many times music has affected me that way.  It's totally a drug, individualized to your liking.  Most kids nowadays have one earphone in at all times, even if you're in the middle of an important conversation with them.  I support that versus a cigarette in their hand.  Which is ruder?

Music is made to fit any mood, any taste and anybody.  I used to be really closed off to hip-hop and rap but I'll be the first one to admit my car's turning into a nightclub on wheels.  It pumps me up on my way to and from work.

Do yourself a favor and check out Young the Giant's "In the Open" session on youtube.  It may change your life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rayMFedXB4&playnext=1&list=PLFC0B33948BEC5754

Grab a glass of wine and relax.  You owe it to yourself.

Peace and love,

Katie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The cow bleeds and I benefit(ed)

relationsh*ts

Popcorn Farts