And I see Katie...

I learned a very valuable lesson in improv class last night, beyond recognizing that I overthink things and can't make offers that progress the storyline, but that's not what this entry is about.  In an effort to keep things positive, the teacher, Eric, instructed a student who was peering into his neighbor's yard in a scene: "Don't tell us what you don't see, tell us what you do see."

I immediately got it.  Well I still have some improv skills to work on, but the life-lesson behind Eric's words was perfectly clear to me.  It's all about being grateful.  Appreciating what you do have in life.  Focusing on everything that is lacking will only bring you, and all the people around you, down.  We know that.  But people take on that outlook.  I have met so many people who seem to be drawn to the negative, everywhere they go drama follows, leeching on their bad perspective.  They can't seem to shake it.  

That's all it is though, it's only one way of looking at things.  The more you give power to the negative in you, the stronger it gets, like my inner meangirl, Roxy.  She was gaining control in my life for a brief period of time some years ago, and it sucked.  You become powerless to your own self.  

So looking at what you do have, all the beautiful things and aspects of your life that are right in front of you, will inevitably feed the good in you.  The more good you see, the better life is.  It's all about perspective.

I'm thinking of that show, Romper Room, was it?  Where the blonde lady looks into a mirror and announces all the kids she sees at the end of each episode?  Well I recommend taking out that magical mirror and looking into your own life.  See what you see, and smile and make others feel good just like that lady did.  

Looking through my own mirror, I have a lot to be thankful for.  My family, friends, job, the theatre, my dog Gracie, the good food that is available to me, and all the other wonderful things I possess, not all material.  The things that often go unthanked, that we cannot see or hold are the most important to be remembered: the special ingredients like kindness and creativity that make me, me, and you, you.  

I could whine and complain about all the "nots" and don't-haves in my life, but who wants to hear about that, really?  Where can that conversation, with yourself or others, really lead to?  To the garbage is where.  Maybe you need to write that list, and physically toss it out.  Put it where it belongs.

Granted, I do think it is perfectly healthy from time to time, to throw a brief pity-party, especially if you're approaching that time of the month, ladies. The mood swings are very real and do deserve some attention. But when you do, go all out.  Eat your ice cream, watch the Notebook and cry your heart out, but be productive about it, come up with solutions, and don't dwell forever.  See what you do see and be grateful.


Phantogram,

Katie


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The cow bleeds and I benefit(ed)

relationsh*ts

Popcorn Farts