Boy oh Boy

Had a great conversation with some friends last night.  It involved some much-needed venting, laughter, and pizza. Always a great combination.  We'd come from our regular Sunday Night Improv stint at Theatre Ste-Catherine, and were on our way home when the topic of dating came up. It quickly became clear that I am not the only one who is both confused and frustrated by this form of human interaction.

I admit, I suck at dating.  I'm bad at it and as a result I don't really like it.  I get really gung-ho about crushes, have about a million going on at any given time and I love to flirt, but following through and trying to make it go somewhere is not my strongpoint.  I much prefer the thrill of the chase to the intense nerves associated with finally asking someone out, and the subsequent nerves experienced on the first date.  Ick.  I don't know how people get boyfriends or girlfriends anymore, I feel like maybe I need to sit down with someone and take notes.

That's sort of what we did last night.  Three of us gals loitered in front of the theatre, kicking the air and bitching about men past midnight when we decided to continue the conversation over pizza.  Good call.  I've had many nights with girlfriends doing just this.  Fat Spinsters was born in a pizza joint on the very same street on the other side of town.  It's a fake club my friend Tasha and I invented one night after a series of letdowns and giving up on finding a life partner.  I even had a hat made to commemorate this exclusive, albeit fake, club.  There are only 3 in existence.  Tasha's pretty much married now with three kids, but I stayed true to the Fat Spinster code.  Stayed single ya'll.  'One Love.  2 Legit.  Fingers and thumbs heart gang symbol.

We were later joined by a male friend, someone who I believe has mastered the art of flirtation though he might disagree with me.  As far as I'm concerned he's Montreal's very own Casanova. In any case, we tried to dissect men in order to get his take on things, but alas it turns out men are just as confused by women as we are by them.  Maybe that's the way to ask someone out.  "I don't get you and you don't get me... Want to get it together?"

To recap what we learned:  Dating is complicated. You've got to take risks and I think I'm due for one as much as I hate to admit it.  You've got to be specific, both about what you want and who you want it with, who probably being the more important factor.

And what did I learn?  I learned that I need to narrow down the "who" in my life. But I'll tell ya'.  It ain't an easy task when you're surrounded by so many talented, good-looking artists.  Gosh-darn.  Skippity-doo-bop: I love my life.

Who let the dogs out,

K-Legs.

Comments

  1. This blog entry reminds me of your grad speech!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't give up just yet... Being a Fat Spinster isn't just about whether or not you have a someone in your life.... it's equally about licking the mayonnaise off the knife and not being ashamed... It's about knowing that no matter who you have in your life 50 years from now, you'll be just as happy on a porch somewhere with your 'cat babies' while he sits inside. So you can have it all, that person on your arm someday & that pink hat on your head.
    Mavis Bee xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww thanks Mavis!! I miss you girl! ;)

    Well said m'lady, there is more to it than I let on in this blog. The stage is set, I just need to turn on the lights, know what I'm saying?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok -I'm reading these backwards, from today to catch up - you are amazing - you really need a publisher! love mel

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The cow bleeds and I benefit(ed)

relationsh*ts

Popcorn Farts