Sen-sewe-all Mass-ahge

Austin Power's British accent has been in my head all day.

I went for my first professional massage today with my dear friend T, a super generous gift from her and her man for my birthday (and last year's Christmas, ha.).

The spa turned out to be in an old bar we used to frequent in theatre school, affectionately known as "The Brass."  From what I understand it was owned by a couple of Irish misters, and let me just say the ghosts and white dust have been cleared out after a serious renovation.  You'd never know hundreds of theatre kids had been through there over the years, let alone a single beer tap.

Anyway, we giggled our way into the room, feeling like deserving adults in our robes and enjoyed a full hour-long massage.  If you haven't had one, do.  You deserve every penny's worth.  I left feeling elated and relaxed and limber as all hell.

It was an interesting experience, I have to admit I was a bit nervous at first, not knowing what to expect, but it was an hour of mind-body-spirit connection, as T described it.

I saw forests and oceans and birds and bunnies, even got reunited with a seahorse.  So relaxing.

The best part for me, other than total rejuvenation, was leaving with a bigger sense of self-respect.

There's no nice-girl way to say this, but damn do I feel way more respect for my body now.  Skin, muscles, curves, it's irreplaceable.  Priceless.  And there's no reason I should let anybody in on that unless there is a huge amount of respect involved.

So take that as you will, but consider the difference between a mind-body-spirit connection and a purely physical one. There's a big gap there and although you might walk out of somewhere feeling limber as all hell, your conscience probably won't.

I dunno, just a thought on a Saturday night.

Peace, love, and Ray Lamontagne,

Katie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The cow bleeds and I benefit(ed)

relationsh*ts

Popcorn Farts