Love Lines

I like to consider myself an amateur palm reader.  I went to Victoria BC a few years ago and had my palm read in the Bay Centre for 40 dollars.  It was a fifteen minute recorded reading, and my cousin Kate had sworn by her.  Since then, I've done a bit of research and whipped out my talent as a sort of parlor trick, mostly at the theatre for kicks.

There's always been something that bothered me about the reading I got though.  She took a look at my relationship lines, which are located under your pinky on the edge of your hand.  At the time I was in a serious relationship and she told me I'd be ready for marriage around 28.  I thought that was pretty hopeful until she chuckled and said that I'd probably be married several times.  I have two lines, parallel to each other, about the same length, which should symbolize important relationships, and in my case, multiple ones.

Now, four years later after the reading, they're still there and have plagued me since.  I stare at them, hoping one will disappear and the right person will show up in my life.  Usually I just assume I'm destined for a life of dead end relationships but this morning I had an epiphany.  Screw palmistry.

I was on my porch drinking coffee staring at these two lines in the sky, left behind by airplanes.  There they were, parallel to each other, and I realized this has to be the best analogy for a relationship.

I remember learning in school about parallel and perpendicular lines.  We all know what happens to perpendicular ones.  Eventually they cross whereas parallel lines remain alongside each other.  Forever.

So I glanced at my hand and decided to take a new approach.  As long as I can be myself, and grow alongside another, I've got it made.  The lines on my hand don't represent multiple marriages, I think they represent a healthy relationship.

Accept and grow together.  That's it.  That's the secret.

Paul Dempsey,

Katie


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The cow bleeds and I benefit(ed)

relationsh*ts

Popcorn Farts