The Wait.


There once was a woman who lived in the woods.
Her husband went away, for his country he stood.
She sat on her porch
Just rocking away
"He'll be back soon"
She continued to say.
 
Weeks went by
And months rolled on
Not a single "I love you"
No letters at dawn.
 
Her friends lost touch
Her garden died
The dust collected
And soon she would cry;
"My hair's gone gray,
My skin has sunk,
What's left but this chair,
My lost time and that trunk?
 
She slowly crept over
And opened the lock
Inside was nothing,
No memories, just junk.
 
She sat back down
With a horrible frown,
Looked up to the heavens
No prayers, no sound.
"My entire life
Has come, and gone
And here now I sit
No answers be found.
How could I let
Some handsome man be
The one thing in this life
That could have made me?
I once was a person
With love to be given
But in the end seems
My love has been stricken."
 
The old lady rocked and rocked and rocked
She quietly passed away at twelve o'clock.
The very next day
A baby was born
And she lived her life,
No lovers forlorn.
 
And to this day
I'm not quite sure
What happened to the man,
How he lost his way.
Perhaps he felt guilty
Unhappy in love
But one thing's for certain
His heart he outrun.
 
So face your fears
Your heartaches, your tears
This life is your life
Please use up your years.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The cow bleeds and I benefit(ed)

relationsh*ts

Popcorn Farts