Can I get a Witness

Saw a crime go down last night.  Super sketchy!

My *friend* Davey and I took Gracie for a walk around 10 pm last night.  We'd spent the day wandering around the city looking for shoes and adventure.  D bought a pair of Macbeths at Giant Tiger for 29 bucks and later we looked at lizards and snakes at Safari.  We even caught a movie at the Dollar Cinema.  The real adventure came later when we saw two guys and a ladder.

NDG tends to have some sketchy folk from time to time, but more often than not, it's harmless hooligan teenagers up to no good.  There have been a number of break-ins on my street over the past couple of months so when I saw the ladder, I couldn't help but wonder, "what the fluck?" 

Guy One was climbing down a ladder that was leaning against a building, in plain sight, to the second story window of an apartment.  The lights were on, they didn't seem to be in a rush.  Guy Two was on his cellphone.  They watched us as we watched them, and Davey and I figured they must have locked themselves out.  We both acknowledged the sketchiness of the situation though and when we got back from the walk we noticed cops in the apartment looking around.  There was a woman pacing and a few minutes later the cops went outside with their flashlights and started looking around.

We went onto the balcony with Gracie and watched them come down the street, obviously looking for them, or their ladder, or anything that might offer some clues.  I called down to them to let them know we saw them, and they asked if they had any more equipment with them.  Not sure what they meant by that but we didn't see where they went. 

Anyhow, we were both glued to the window and I turned the lights off in my apartment so that we would be less obvious.  The cops asked two people smoking on their balcony across the street if they saw anything and they said a big "NOPE."  I started to wonder if I should have kept my mouth shut.  Shit.

D sort of gets my attention a few minutes later and motions to me to look outside.  There they are.  The two guys, hanging out in front of the apartment building across the street, smoking.  They had a dog with them.  I just sort of looked at Davey and was like, what do we do?  I  even asked my roommate for a second opinion.  We still weren't sure what the hell they were doing climbing down the ladder anyway.  There could be a lot more to the story. 

About 10 minutes pass and they start walking down the street, past the apartment they just tried to break into.  "They always return to the scene of the crime eh?"  Davey says.  I'm still not sure what to do, but am totally creeped out by the situation, debating what to do, who to call, what are the implications if I do, etc...  We tried calling the local police station but got an answering machine, then info-crime and they directed us to the police department, who then transferred us to 911.  I started to panic on the phone and handed it over to a much calmer D.  He was able to describe what had happened and how they were dressed, etc. 

Some police officers called him back and informed us they'd be sending a patrol car down and that it was an attempted break and enter.  AHH!  The apartment below me had been broken into and I can only guess they did the same thing, using a ladder.  The cops patrolled the street and even pulled over two guys walking a dog.  I was hoping it was the right guys, but it wasn't.  I watched a really questionable person leave the building across the street, and expected to see him return with the dog.  By this time it was almost midnight, and it was time to get some sleep. 

I am tired.  Still creeped out.  Yeah sure we wanted an adventure, but what we were really looking for was more pairs of Macbeths at another Giant Tiger.  What we got was, well, a pair of criminals and some tough decisions to make.  It should be a no-brainer right?  You see something sketchy, you call the police.  Well now I can't get it out of my head that they live across the street, or an accomplice does, and I basically shouted to the neighborhood that I saw what they looked like. 

I'm not really fearing for my safety, but I have a wild imagination.  I'm also prone to anxiety and tend to worry a lot.  If these guys were actually trying to break in, which it sounds like they were, they were really stupid about it.  Like really dumb. 

When I was little I used to memorize details and times when I saw something suspicious happening.  I didn't do it last night because I shrugged it off as unimportant.  I don't want to live in anxiety, I know what that's like, but I do want to make sure I honor gut feelings.  I know that if I was that woman pacing in an apartment, I'd want someone to have my back as well.

Peace, love and safety,

Katie

Comments

  1. Woooooooooooowwwww. That's kinda scary. (Found your blog while surfing for eye candy stuff, etc. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! Yeah it was kinda scary, but luckily no one got hurt! Thanks for stopping by!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The cow bleeds and I benefit(ed)

relationsh*ts

Popcorn Farts