Pay Attention!

Two ducks are sitting in the park across the street from my apartment.  A male and a female, in the puddle-pond, leftover water from the skating rink and the snow that once covered the ground, not so long ago.  It was strange but totally okay seeing two ducks in a park in NDG.  It's not that uncommon for ducks to swoop down and catch a break in some greenspace, but it's cold and rainy, and the park isn't that big.

If that's not a sure sign of Spring though, I don't know what is.

I stopped and stared for a couple of minutes as Gracie my black lab curiously sniffed the grass in front of us.  A young girl on her cellphone stopped too, but only to respond to a text message she'd received and kept on walking.  She didn't notice the ducks.  Someone on a bike rode by.  Cars drove past.  Nada.

I just finished reading a friend's post about his busy life and the duck sighting coincided well with my impression of James' thoughts.  So often we get caught up in pursuing our goals that we miss out on some beautiful moments along the way.

It's as if by habit that I am constantly observing my surroundings.  I look at people.  I watch for movement.  I see things others don't notice, both on a superficial and on a spiritual level.  Sometimes it's annoying, and I see things that disturb me or affect me more than they should, but my eyes are open and I'm receptive.

That moment you see someone you know, or kind of know, and hesitate for a second as to whether or not you should say hi, whether they'll remember you, or if it's even worth it... I used to hate those moments.  I always felt obligated to say hi just in case they saw me first and I neurotically assume that if I don't say hi they'll think I'm snubbing them even though they're the ones snubbing me technically... Anyway.  I also used to overthink things way too much.  Now I just say hi.  I think I'm getting used to the idea of making new connections, or improving old ones, and it's not so bad.  I bet everyone likes to be greeted with a smile.

So that's my two cents for the day.  Pay attention to your life.  Look for the ducks.  There's magic there.

Listening to The Color and the Shape by Foo Fighters right now, hello 1997.

Everlong,

Katie

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The cow bleeds and I benefit(ed)

relationsh*ts

Popcorn Farts