Crimson and Clover

Remember that Kibbles and Bits commercial?  Or all of them for that matter?  The dogs love them Kibbles and Bits and Bits and Bits.

Kibbles and Bits must be the dog-equivalent to McDonalds.  How much processed crap must go into it, to create a bacon and cheese flavored dog food.  What dog needs cheese in their life?

Super random tangent, but I was thinking about the jingle as I sat down to write.  I don't have much to go with other than I've been writing a lot lately.

I've been taking a solo-creation class with the wonderful Kirsten Rasmussen and it's brought me huge inspiration of late.  I haven't performed anything I've written since college, and that was a long time ago, folks.  I'm hoping this class and the subsequent solo performance could bring about an extended version, maybe even a one-woman show.  We'll see where this road takes me, but I'm excited.

Last night I was given some feedback about my writing that was worth exploring so today, on my lunch break in the staffroom, I opened my book and pulled out my pen.  It seemed to write itself. A new monologue, about my character's dark past.  The pen flowed, the anger I must be feeling somewhere inside me, spilling out into bad words and even worse sentences on the page.

I took it to my mom's tonight, and read her my work.  I wasn't crazy about today's writing, but thought it might be worth getting a second opinion.  And, much like I was thinking, we decided it didn't suit my character.  In fact, I'll admit, it's a piece of shit.

One of the things I've been learning is that the more you write, the better you can filter.  That is to say, that sometimes you'll write a piece that may not have much potential, but in that can come greater clarity.  At least I know what Stacey Sutherland ISN'T about.

Sometimes I wish I was better at filtering life's bullshit.  Sometimes I take it too personally, like the world's against me.  But this week, I'm learning a new lesson.

Yesterday I had the opportunity to visit Concordia's Loyola campus farm, and it was awesome.  There was still a few things growing, mostly lettuce, radishes, some herbs and some carrots, but the farmers had been prepping the soil for next Spring, by planting clover.  Clover will keep out pests and provide the soil with nutrients.  A lot of organic farmers do this.

I thought about all the wild clover I've seen growing in forests and even on my old home property, nature's way of keeping out the pests.  Building up my own personal clover, a thicker skin and a broader mind when it comes to my writing.  Please know your feedback is always appreciated.

It's looking promising for next season friends.  ;)

Ps.  I love my neighbor,

Katie


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The cow bleeds and I benefit(ed)

relationsh*ts

Popcorn Farts