She's Like The Wind

I guess I owe it to myself, and to you maybe, to write a post.

It's been a while, and I've seen a lot in the past month, but last night I was re-inspired to sit down with the keyboard.

I was working at TSC for Lundi Impro, and I stepped outside for a moment when I was stopped by a man in his 40s with a receding hairline and wearing sunglasses at night.  He asked me what kind of theatre it was and if we hosted any open mic nights.  Once in a while, sort of, but mostly for stand-up comedy, I told him.

He told me his mom had died when he was 3 months old and since then has always had a special appreciation for love and romance, especially in music.  He said his dad put him on stage when he was 4 because he had a voice like no other.  "You ever hear one of those people you think belong on the radio?" He asked me.

I asked if he was referring to himself and he began to sing me one of his favorite songs, Patrick Swayze's "She's Like the Wind," and I didn't have the heart to stop him.  He wasn't bad, and I have to admit I didn't mind being serenaded on Ste-Catherine street on a Monday night.  He continued to list some of the bands he likes to cover, including Air Supply for what it's worth and I smiled and we chatted for a few moments...

He seemed convinced of his gift and I was in no place to tell him he was wrong; he was absolutely right.  I was surprised to hear myself imparting some advice or wisdom on this old romantic, misguided soul.  I told him it didn't matter how big or small our gifts are, we can give happiness to those around us, everywhere we go, even if it is in a karaoke bar in Montreal, it's just up to us to put our gift to use...

Later on I dreamed that a bear came to me and lied down to sleep.  I panicked thinking this cub had a mama nearby, and could harm me, but all he did was graze his massive paw across my face and disappeared peacefully.

I looked into the meaning today, and bears symbolize many things, but what stood out for me was the obvious; hibernation...  Sometimes we have to lay projects or ideas to rest, but we must revisit them when we are ready again.  So here I am, another school year under way, new projects to be seen through and old projects to be completed (many, in fact), but I'm happy to be sitting here tonight in my quiet kitchen listening to soft music writing on my blog.

Gift it away...

Adam Arcuragi,

Katie

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The cow bleeds and I benefit(ed)

relationsh*ts

Popcorn Farts