High on Light

I love when a trip to the dog park turns into a mood-altering experience.

I've been kind of crabby of late.  Perhaps it's the fact that I'm trying to accept that my 5-week summer vacation is over and I must now return to the daily grind, or maybe simply having nothing to do in particular every day for five weeks has made me a bit bonkers.  I confess it was a heck of a summer, the best I've had since I was a reckless teenager, and I got a lot done.  Went to Winnipeg, did some camping, took a day trip for a car show, all with a smile: it was awesome! But what gives- why the bad mood Katie?

Since going on vacation, I pretty much gave up all sense of daily structure, including getting up at a decent hour, forgoing coffee and of course: eating well.

I took a vacation from a healthy diet, so what.

But now I'm stuck with the miserable wheaty cheesy blahs and I have to admit I'm kind of grateful to be returning to my regular scheduled programming. Part of me, like all of us, wishes I could be the one to call all the shots, work from a cozy home or travel for months, but that's not my reality.  My reality is that, like most of us, I have to work.  I just happen to love what I do.

Today between creating a calendar of projects for my various schools and sipping coffee, I surfed the internet for information on yoga.  We (fellow spiritual animators) are going on a retreat next week, as part of our welcome back, and it's on yoga.  I've been stuck on hot yoga lately, endlessly trying to warm up to the idea of going to a class, pun fully intended.  Moksha yoga, I found out, originated in Toronto, of all places.  It's a combination of a few things I suppose, but while I was searching through YouTube videos, I came across an inspirational interview with  Lisa Ray, Canadian actress and model.  She's been battling cancer, and when asked if she's afraid of dying, she said she chooses to highlight the positive in her life.

So after making friendly small-talk with dog owners for almost an hour, I began my walk home and contemplated her words.

Highlighting the positive.  I thought that was such a clever expression and as I looked around, I began visualizing the neon hi-liting of some of my surroundings.  Things that seemed beautiful to me.  I hi-lited the blue sky, the old building, the cool kids smoking cigarettes in front of Kavanagh, the dad pushing his baby in a stroller.  I felt my mood lightening.  I felt better.  I felt my old uber-inspired self begin to resurface and I quickened my pace so I could come home and write this blog.

Sometimes I think my spirit takes naps, or should I say, I put it to bed for a while, I ignore it.  I'm not entirely sure why, maybe I just need a break from all the inspiration, but I feel kind of lost without it.  Like I go on auto-pilot you know?  Staying connected (and I hope to learn this from yoga one day), is what it's all about.  Until I get there, I'll keep my highlighter on hand.
 

The Irrepressibles,

Katie

Dang that's a suitable band title to be listening to right now huh?  Here's the interview with Lisa Ray:


And check out That's Fit for some awesome articles and cool healthy things.  :)  Peace and love!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The cow bleeds and I benefit(ed)

relationsh*ts

Popcorn Farts