half assalad

I'm going to half-ass an attempt at updating on how my sugar cleanse went. Half-ass, because it's Friday night, it's been a helluva week and I want to watch a movie before midnight, damnit.

I just got in from my high school's Willy Wonka production.  It was great, but at the break, I was tempted to buy some chocolates, partly to support the kids' fundraiser for Japan, and partly because I thought I wanted some.  The truth is, for once in my life, I really had no desire to eat any at all.  My body understood, and I listened.

Before I tell you what I managed to eat on my 3-day mini detox, I'll tell you that it was way harder than I thought it would be.  I mean, I painted a house in 40 degree weather on the Master Cleanse last summer and found it easier.  Okay that's so not true, but giving up sugar made me appreciate food's natural sweetness way more.

The first day as I wrote in a previous blog, I drank a coconut-strawberry smoothie, with hemp seeds.  Snack was a banana, a few medjool dates later, and for lunch I had lentil soup.  For supper I made some rice pasta, with red peppers, cheese and Braggs.  That gave me some serious indigestion.  In between meals I also had an apple, and lemon water.  Tuesday I had another smoothie for breakfast, and one or two rice cakes with sunflower seed butter.  Very satisfying.  I munched on almonds and dates when I craved something sweet, but I didn't need more than one or two because I took my time eating them.

Later that evening I had another Charlie Sheen time in my kitchen, minus the smoking and probable drug addiction.  I was just feeling cooky.  I blasted music and let Sunday's grocery shop inspire me.  I discovered my love for chayote, a summer squash shaped like a pear, green, and apple/cucumber texture on the inside.  It was AMAZING.  I chopped that up and the asparagus and tossed it with olive oil, garlic and hemp seeds.  Had it for lunch the next day.  It had a great, fresh, nutty flavour.  There was leftover rice pasta for supper and Wednesday was my last day of the cleanse, technically.  A lot of repeats, simply because that's what I had going on in my kitchen.  I have a hard time following some kind of a meal plan that requires a shitload of preparing at every meal and ignores the availability of leftovers.

Anyway, the fruit and the dates especially satisfied me greatly.  Seriously, when was the last time you ate a date and savored every tiny bite?  It was as good as maple taffy on snow.  I want one right now.

The downside to all of this is how crabby I was.  I'll blame it on my brain missing sugar, but holy smokes was this week a rough one for me.  I'm glad it's over.  Pluses, my stomach was feeling good, some acne cleared up, and no muscle aches whatsoever.  Energy was fairly good but needed to eat regularly.  And now it's 11:22 so I should get to that movie I've tried to watch all week. (Ghost).

Sweets,

Katie

PS.  I would like to note the amazing salads I enjoyed at a friend's potluck last night.  I brought one made with kale, shredded butternut squash, beet stalks, cabbage sprouts, Amira-FREE walnuts (I will not give you E-coli), and the dressing had olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, honey and curry spice.  I really enjoyed it and had some leftovers today.  My friend Pascale made a mango-cilantro-shrimp salad which smelled amazing, and what a great combo - mango and cilantro!  I've got to try that some day, I'm just mildly allergic to mango, it so happens.  And the hostess' friend, a friend of Lise's that is, made a green salad with avocado, blackberries and blue cheese.  It was awesome.  Yay for salads!

Comments

  1. I think I really need to try this, but I can't go even a few hours without sugar. I am completely dependent on it. I'd probably end up on the news if I tried this detox..! Everything else sounds so amazing though!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

relationsh*ts

The cow bleeds and I benefit(ed)

Popcorn Farts