The Break-Up

I bumped into somebody I hadn't seen in a long time recently, and caught myself delivering old news.  She was someone I considered a mentor for a long time, and someone who has made a big impact on my approach to youth.  When I saw her and she asked how I was, I gave her a quick rundown of major changes in my life that occurred since I last saw her, which included the life-changing breakup between my ex and I.  Since that happened, my life has developed in so many positive ways, due to the lifestyle changes I have made, people I've met and having gotten back in touch with myself.

But she was like, "didn't that happen a year and a half ago?"  I realized she'd heard about it through mutual coworkers.  And I felt embarrassed.  Holy shit, have I not let go of that yet?  There's so much good stuff going on in my life right now, and that was the pivotal time that allowed me to make changes, but it's true.  It's old news now.

At what point do our stories change when major events take place in our lives?  There's a student at my special needs school who is still telling me about the Bon Jovi concert he went to in February, as if it just happened over the weekend.  "Hey did you know I went to the Bon Jovi concert Miss Katie?"  All I can do redirect.

I guess it's time to redirect my own story.  Besides, the break-up isn't nearly as exciting as attending a Bon Jovi concert right? (gag, but that's just me..) Everything I've been up to since is pretty damn exciting though.  The raw food, the blog, finally taking improv classes, getting a permanent AWESOME job... It's all good.  I don't really need to blow the socks off people every time I see them.  Sometimes things in life are just status quo.  And that's a good thing!

It's made me question my perspective about it in the past few days.  I've moved past this, made peace with it, but I guess it's time to emotionally relocate that part of my life, because it doesn't have as much significance as it once did.  It's composting, in my heart.  Returning to the Earth.  I feel enriched.  My life is growing in another, wonderful, happy direction.

If you're dealing with a broken heart, know that with some work, patience and time, it will heal.

Peace and Love!

Katie

Comments

  1. I think some break ups are meant to change us so dramatically that it would be a crime to forget that it was that moment that became our new beginning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly. I like the way you put it too. A moment that became our new beginning. Totally!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

relationsh*ts

The cow bleeds and I benefit(ed)

Popcorn Farts