Blast from the Past

I believe everything happens for a reason.  That much I know for sure, but what to do when those meaningful events occur, often leaves me with some questions.

This past week had a strong, overriding theme: Leadership.  Monday I hosted Easter dinner and fed 14 people.  From my own two hands.  I had help, especially from my niece Sarah, who is awesome, and I was able to delegate when needed.  Tuesday I went to Mega Day, an intense, action-packed day aimed at motivating and inspiring students through leadership.  It was held at Heritage High School on the South Shore.  Heritage is now the home of my old high school, RVR.  RVR and Macdonald Cartier joined and formed Heritage.  You wouldn't know it, walking through the halls...  I graduated ten years ago, but the only sign of RVR is a big collage of athletic pictures and one of four gyms named after the school.  That's okay.  Things change, but going there and seeing those pictures reminded me of those times.  High school.

The following day through Friday, I took some of my secondary students to camp Kinkora, a leadership camp.  For three days, it rained, it sunned, the kids sang, danced and played.  They became leaders, if they weren't already.

Here's what happened for me.  The universe folded itself in half.  In the span of one week, I was able to go back in time and revisit my old high school experience, see teachers who once taught me, see pictures of people I looked up to, and reunite with two men who made a significant impact on my life: Stu Saunders and Sunjay Nath.

What are the odds, I wonder, that out of all possible speakers in this fine country, of all potential timing, of any coincidence, that these two guys would speak at these two events, and that I would get a chance to speak to them, thank them, and let them know what an impact they made on my life.  What are the odds?

Stu and Sunjay ran YLCC, a leadership camp I attended in sec. 4 with my fellow student council members.  I don't really know how the school was able to afford to send us all the way there, as it was held in London, Ontario, but we went and had the time of our lives.  I also think we had the best graduating class RVR had ever seen, the best student council and the most school spirit ever.  Maybe I'm a bit biased.

Val, Gavin, Stephen and I took the train, all by ourselves, to London.  We experienced technical troubles along the way, so the trip doubled in time as we missed our connecting train in Toronto and we didn't make it to camp until it was getting dark out.  The man who picked us up told us that everyone was up at the lodge having a snack, but come to the arts and crafts barn and we'll give you a mini-orientation.  We were tired, we were discouraged, we came the farthest, and we were really late, but we followed.  They sat us down at the picnic table inside the open-windowed barn and all of a sudden, two hundred kids jumped up and yelled SURPRISE!  They ran in and introduced themselves and made us all feel so incredibly welcome, that the long trip disappeared in our minds and we had a great time at camp.  That's the kind of place it was.  Amazing.

So when I saw Stu on Tuesday, it was like seeing a celebrity guest from my life.  He gave a great speech and when I saw him in the lunch room, I mustered the courage and went to go speak to him.  I was nervous and emotional, but he was sincerely touched that I thanked him.  He encouraged me to email him, which I will, and I'd like to start a dialogue about spirituality and leadership.

Thursday Sunjay showed up.  When I'd seen his name on the markered-poster schedule on the wall, I didn't think it could be possible.  But it was him.  He also gave a great speech and the kids loved him, and again, I mustered the courage and spoke to him, from the heart.  He sat with me at lunch and we attempted a conversation but the music was so loud that we gave short answers and couldn't really "get into it."  I asked him for his take on spirituality and leadership, and he said they're one in the same.  I dig it, but I want to know more from them.  That's merely the professional in me seeking some insight.

The me in me doesn't know what to do with having seen these two inspirational and personally influential people in the span of one week.  Maybe I'm not making the time to go there and find the answer, but I feel like the universe is trying to show me something again.  There are so many lessons beyond the clouds. I'll figure it out.  For now I'll ponder and be grateful.  If nothing else, it's given me the opportunity to say thank you, in person, from the heart.  We all need to do that more often: say thank you to those who changed you, they deserve to know, and it feels really good to say those words.  I'm going to go and say thank you to a few more people now.

Peace and love,

Katie, or as the teens call me, Miss Legit.

Comments

  1. Aww! Shakes!(shhhh! We wont go there, but that's a memory this article brought up for me!) What a great entry once again! I love reminiscing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

relationsh*ts

The cow bleeds and I benefit(ed)

Popcorn Farts