100 Days of Writing - 25

Managing expectations - an important lesson in life, and something I'm always obsessing over.

When I started this blog 8 years ago, I was on a high.  I had just begun to discover the joy of whole foods and the satisfaction that writing and eating healthy brought me was unlike anything that I had previously experienced.  It felt as though I had finally found the secret to happiness, and that I would never again have to look down a dark path.  I was nourishing body, mind and soul.  It felt great.

As stress began creeping in, and the blog entries grew more sporadic, so too did my health-conscious meals.  Eventually I was sinking into old habits and fueling my stress rather than my health, and that became a nasty habit for a long time.  Long enough until I was too broke to do so, and suddenly this slimmer body emerged and I felt as attractive as I did at 22, which was over a decade before at that point. 

When the scale spoke to me, it whispered loving encouragement as I was losing weight naturally from sheer poverty.  When I started working a more sustainable employment, that number began to grow because I suddenly could afford to mistreat myself.  Now that I had the opportunity to, and I was finding success in my life again, I began sabotaging my body.

Can you tell I've been reading Women Food and God again?

I'm coming to a fork in the road, I feel it approaching.  I've worked hard over the past few years to build a career I am proud of again, to broaden my horizons and aim for a national impact, but I cannot help but feel the "weight" of my current state; I feel stuck in this cyclone of achievement.  I'm right at the center of it, and all the things I want are spinning around me - causing things to worsen internally.

Stress, she's something alright.  I'm just trying to get through each day, one at a time.  And when August comes around, and new opportunities open up again, I hope to have refined my habits so that I set myself up for a well-rounded reception of success.  I want it, I'm going after it, and I want to appreciate it when I get it.

Gregory Alan Isakov,

Katie


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The cow bleeds and I benefit(ed)

relationsh*ts

Popcorn Farts