The only living boy in new york

I just let out a big sigh as I tried to think how to start this one.  An appropriate biological release!

It is now 2015, a new year.  New opportunities, new attitudes, new moments, new things await us all.  Do we know what they will look like?  Thinking ahead, seeing into the future.  Predictions.

Here I am, right here.  All of the moments that came before led me to this one.  This one right here, sitting on my couch with a blanket and Simon and Garfunkel playing on a youtube tab.  My coffee is dark roast and as I take a sip I realize I'm living a moment I've always wanted but didn't think it would look like this.  I've spent many a daydream picturing myself sitting by a window in a cozy little cafe sipping delicious steaming coffee from a warm mug in the morning, laptop propped up in front of me, a great song playing overhead as I write.

And now, trying not to think about the mountain of dishes that have piled up due to last night's new years eve party, living right here in this moment, everything is as it should be.  Even the mess.

All the junk that's come in the past is gone, all the junk that will come in the future isn't here, all I have is this moment.

Here I am.  Now.

I've become really good at making predictions about people and situations.  I put on my imaginary psychic turban and go to town thinking I know what's in the hearts and minds of people when I have no idea.  There is no crystal ball, Katie, you are not a fortune teller.

It's a bit of a habit that has grown out of anxiety, and now that it's a new year, it seems like the right time to release that way of thinking altogether.  I don't know how people might react to something I say, or to my feelings, or to me in general I guess.  I don't know what other people have on their plate, I should not assume that it has anything to do with me in the first place.

I'm learning more about openness and in that openness, there is no anxiety, no thinking ahead, no anticipation, just presence.  Living moment to moment (is not easy) is where I want to be.

I was talking to a friend last night who was telling me she was nervous about turning 25, but now 26 feels great.  I remember being 25 and thinking my life was definitely not how I pictured it when I was younger.  I'm 32 now, and it is still not how I pictured it.  But it's good, and I'm making it what it is.

I know amazing people, I have a lovely home, a great pup, supportive family and a spirit that strives for growth.  I'm just going to go ahead and be okay with everything.  Right here, now.

Here I am,

Simon and Garfunkel,

Have a good year, whatever it looks like right now,

Katie


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

relationsh*ts

The cow bleeds and I benefit(ed)

Popcorn Farts