Reflektor

I started writing this blog at the same time as I had started listening to the Suburbs by Arcade Fire.  It's cool to notice how they've evolved, much like I have.  A band has a pretty tough job, especially after you've produced such a great album in the past.  How do you measure up?  How do you stay loyal or do you go with what feels right?  I'm pretty sure Arcade Fire just follows their inspiration and so far I think Reflektor is a solid album.

As a blog writer (ugh I don't like calling myself that, but there it is), I started off with a lot of momentum.  Post after post of what felt like gold to me, but over time the posts have become less and less frequent, and maybe the quality has slipped a bit, but hey, I'm human.

Doing anything creative requires so much work!  Especially when it involves collaboration between people.  I can write anywhere because I have my own schedule to mind, but trying to schedule rehearsals among a diverse amount of people is a challenge.

With two shows I've produced under my belt, I feel really good about the overall experience and outcomes.  But it's been a great big learning experience, and some lessons came to me unexpectedly.  Ahhh showbiz, eh?

What's been on my mind an awful lot lately is the ego.  Having been involved in a great company for many years, and being around such talented and creative people, I haven't tended to my own ego.  It's grown bigger than I'd like to admit, in a way to keep up with all the other egos around me, but I've also noticed how the ego can creep out and turn some relationships upside down fairly easily.

Montreal has such a giant pool of creatives.  With huge egos, I think we can all agree.  I definitely consider myself as part of that pool so I take full responsibility for my actions.

But I've been at odds with my ego lately.  I don't like it.  I mask my decisions and behavior by this new-found thing I call confidence, but maybe it's a sham, I'm not really sure.  It's definitely easier to walk around feeling confident than owning up to the inflated ego I have.

Here I am owning up to it, and already it feels like a weight has been lifted... but maybe that's just my ego wearing a humble skin.

You definitely need to have a certain amount of ego to make things happen in this city, and you're probably pretty conscious of where it has burned some bridges and left unwanted memories behind.

In any case, take a good look in the mirror and ask yourself what kind of refle(k)tion is starting back at you.  Feel good about what it is that you're doing, because it's ALL good, but make sure you don't lose sight of who you are deep down, because waking up after a few years of pursuit may mean you've lost touch of who it is you are behind it all.  And then feel good about that person too, because they're still a part of who you are.

Reconnect, dance to good vibes and feel great.  Thank yourself for making it this far and the next step you take make sure you feel rooted with your world.

Here Comes the Night Time,

Katie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

relationsh*ts

The cow bleeds and I benefit(ed)

Popcorn Farts