All I want for Christmas is...

I just watched Blackfish, a documentary about Killer Whales at Seaworld, and it's got me all emotional.

That, and the beauty of this season.

The snow, the Christmas lights, the snowplows, the wine glasses, the family laughter, the hugs, the gifts, the ornaments... all of it.

It didn't take me long to get into the hibernation of the holidays.  I spent all of yesterday and a good part of today on Netflix.  And it's worth the extra 30 dollars in streaming fees, even though it should only cost $8.  Nonetheless, I mustered the energy to get out and do some groceries in preparation for Christmas.  I make latkes for our family breakfast, and they go like the hotcakes they are.  Yum.  Walking in the cold, looking at people's lights, I felt all warm and cozy.

A lot of childhood/adolescent memories have been flooding my mind as of late.  Part of me wonders if it's because of the solitude I tend to feel at this time of year, but it also makes me feel hopeful.

A few years ago on Christmas day I broke a mirror.  That totally sucked because I'm superstitious.  I laughed today with my brother on the phone about starting my own Christmas tradition because I'm 31 and single and why not own it and celebrate on my own?  (I hope you realize how hilarious this is, because I'm certainly laughing at myself).

The holidays bring out the absolute best and worst in people, don't it?  There always seems to be a certain amount of heightened tragedy in the news, and in the circle of people you are surrounded by.  It just seems so tainted because we're all just trying to make it through the end of another year, with high hopes and expectations because it's Christmas AND EVERYBODY'S SUPPOSED TO BE HAPPY.

Well, I for one do love the season but I can't pretend that a certain amount of self-inflicted loneliness doesn't creep out of my soul.  "Another Christmas and I'm still single.  Thanks."  HAHAHAHA really it's cute and funny because there's just so much damn pressure put on by our own damn selves at this time of year.

I read somewhere that Fall's the most romantic season because of the impending doom of cold weather and the need to find companionship so that our caveman selves can keep warm for the winter.  And then those of us that face the unpleasant snow pile on our cars and shovel our ways out of hell remember just how alone we really are.

But, as it often does when I get self-defeating, wisdom cracks a light note and tells me that you know we're all alone anyway, the season's about spending time with those you love.

So as I sit here, with my dog Gracie passed out by my side and my 40 dollar Christmas tree stares at me with romantic lighting and vintage ornaments, may I take this opportunity to tell you all I love you and wish you the absolute best this season has to offer - and that's love. Love with family and friends, self-love and love with your partners and your kids or your pets if you have them.  Realize life's just an opportunity to laugh and feel lighthearted as we learn.

Merry Christmas, and I hope you get everything that's on your list, whatever that might be made of.

xox
Katie


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

relationsh*ts

The cow bleeds and I benefit(ed)

Popcorn Farts