sKid marks

I started a blog earlier this evening but had to put it aside due to a killer headache. Something tells me it wasn't meant to be posted, so I'll try again instead.

I'm super into spiritual-motivational speaker Gabrielle Bernstein these days.  Her words really resonate with me and I find myself relating more and more.

The message I took away today was be more of yourself.  Be more real.  Be more you.

I fight that a lot, mostly in my writing, especially since it goes public.  But also at work.  Today I realized I say "oh boy" in front of colleagues instead of my usual "oh man," or "maaaaan..." when I'm impressed or surprised by something.  I accidentally called a rather conservative female colleague dude once and was so embarrassed I had to apologize twice.  Normally I'm good at making the switch to adult-talk but I guess the real me comes out when I feel comfortable.

I'm labelled as a professional, technically, but I can't kick my denim addiction.  I just can't.  I hide my tattoos for the most part and have removed my facial piercing, but underneath all of that is the girl who just wants to celebrate being who she is.  And yeah maybe I stick out like a sore thumb but I have to admit that I can't do my job honestly unless I'm being an honest person.

Kids stare at me.  Kids I don't know.  They look, and they smile when our eyes meet, like they know something.  It's cute, but sometimes I want to tune it out, like when I'm buying bagels at 9:30 on a Monday night at Fairmont.  Sometimes I want to be able to hide behind my anonymity in my own hood but I can't seem to escape some kind of childish magnetism.  I suppose that's why I do this work in the first place, I just seem to operate from a very deep understanding of KID.

I am definitely a child at heart.  And that can be very positive but also challenging at times when I'm trying to battle the crap that we as adults do.  Bills.  Relationships.  Gas pumps.  Ugh.

Nevertheless, I hope I don't lose the imaginative lenses from which I operate.  It makes life so much the more interesting and magical.  That's where we come from, deep down.  Sit on a swing, read your favorite Robert Munsch story, just reconnect.  Hold yourself in your memory when you were scared, calm that part of you that still creeps out, love yourself for all your years.

Peace, love, and light,

Katie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

relationsh*ts

The cow bleeds and I benefit(ed)

Popcorn Farts