A letter to the infinite

Dear infinite,

There are things that exist in me that I wish didn't.  This longing for thin air, the air I breathe in fact, something I can't see but need to survive.  Constantly needing a new breath, holding onto it as long as I can before I must exhale.  I try to relax my belly to allow the air to fill me with kindness and calm, but most of the time I walk around with my gut sucked in out of blind habit.

If I stop breathing, I'm dead.  My organs will shut down and eventually the rest of me will too. So I must.  I must breathe in order to live, to love, in this life.

But sometimes the air tastes dirty, thick with city smog and sometimes smoke.  I do this on purpose, knowing I am harming my lungs, but again, it's out of blind habit.

If I could filter you, I would.  I so would.  I would pick and choose the air I breathe so that I may find a place inside of myself that is constantly in a state of calm.  A state of peace.

I could travel into the woods, to the mountains, to the ocean, just to get a clean breath.  I could walk around with a mask on my face but I too would be hiding, just like the rest of us.

So instead I settle with this smoggy city air, because I have to make do, because I have no choice.

I must breathe in order to survive.

A clean breath exists in moments, sometimes days, sometimes years if you're lucky.  My lungs turn black.  My gut swells with rage and I fade into the background where I'm used to being seen.

But don't be afraid, this is just a breath I needed to get out.

Half Moon Run,

Katie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

relationsh*ts

The cow bleeds and I benefit(ed)

Popcorn Farts