Vibes

A grade 2 student looked up at me from her Remembrance Day themed maze activity after her neighbour declared it was too difficult and she said, "if somebody can do it, then anybody can do it."

Yep!  I told her, and congratulated her on her positive attitude.

Wise words, 7 year old, wise words.  Somebody can do it, and did already, therefore.. yeah we are all capable.

That's probably the same attitude that my 6 year old dog had when she broke a tupperware container to get to my homemade flax seed crackers and kale chips while I was out returning some picture frames this evening.  Not cool, Gracie.  Not cool.

What was kinda cool though was the assembly I conducted this morning for 250 grade 5 and 6 students.  It was for Remembrance Day (I won't be there on the 11th), and you could hear a pin drop as I went through my WW1 presentation.

It was a very successful event but not without the consequential emotional drainage that accompanies talking about the death of so many people, not to mention the weeks preparing for this and the making of said presentation.

The job I have is so hard to describe, but what I realize more and more is that it constantly involves making crucial decisions that directly impact the youth I work with.  They're judgment calls often made instinctively that require a heightened sensitivity to what we all like to call the "vibe."

It could be the vibe of an activity I bring to a class, or about how a student feels talking about her nightmare or, as was the case today, the vibe of a gym-full of kids completely absorbing the emotion-packed assembly.  I had to look at them and make sure there were no tears falling as they watched videos of Corporal Nathan Cirillo's final drive along the Highway of Heroes, and Warrant Officer Vincent's funeral procession.  They were so quiet.  Heavy duty stuff, and geez has it been weighing down on me.

That's the tough part!  I have a colleague who has given three memorial ceremonies for students who have died in the past 6 months.  I have unfortunately had that experience once a few years ago and it takes a toll.  Helping kids grieve the loss of someone their own age is unbearable.  I found out Monday that a student I had in elementary school died from cancer last week.  She was 14. There's a 5 year old I work with who has cystic fibrosis.  There's a former teacher dying from a brain tumor.  She's not even 50.  It doesn't stop - it's life, and here we are, spiritual community animators, ready to catch and cushion the fall when students are faced with difficult times, and not enough people know we even exist.  It's not about recognition maybe, but it's about respect.

Surviving life - nobody has done it, yet here we all are, trying.  ;)

Let's wear a poppy, let's support our veterans, hug a friend in need and make the day better for someone who needs it.

Positive vibes, love is enough,
Katie


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

relationsh*ts

The cow bleeds and I benefit(ed)

Popcorn Farts