Under Pressure TWO

I've decided that volunteering for Under Pressure was a gateway drug.

Now all I see is graffiti, all I want to listen to is hip-hop, and all I've been watching are videos related to those two things, non-stop.  Facebook makes it really easy to connect to all these people, places and things as well.  I'm hooked.

Thinking back to when most people get interested in this subculture, my teens, I had great disdain for everything hip-hop.  I decided I had an indie spirit and Wu Tang were gangsters, Eminem was a sell-out and rap sucked.  I even had a poster that said so.  Mind you, I always liked old school tunes, but my awareness consisted of my sister's Rap Traxx compilation tape.  It featured songs from Public Enemy, Tone Loc, and Fresh Prince, among others.  And just so you know, I had to google who sang Funky Cold Medina, so that just goes to show you I still have a lot of learning to do.  But back in high school, something about the late nineties' alternative influence on my attitude and the hippie clothes I wore did not jive with the hip hop all around me.  I denied my enjoyment of Snoop Dogg until my early twenties.

Somewhere along my timeline, I loosened up and broadened my appreciation for music as well as culture.  I learned to admire people and their individuality, just like I expected in return.  (I should dig up some pictures, I was a straight edge kid who dressed like a raver, pretty funny-looking...)

Looking around at the artists this weekend, I saw just how different and individual they are.  I guess graffiti grew out of a certain culture and era, but nowadays, it seems like such an inclusive artform and at the same time, is a truly unique expression of self. There's a lot of freedom there.

It takes all kinds to make up this world and all kinds could be found this weekend on De Bullion and Sainte-Catherine East, and that's the way it should be when it comes to art.

I thought I'd wind up writing about all the crazy things that went on this weekend, like seeing Foufounes Electriques' interior during the day and confronting idiots, but the muscle aches are subsiding, my energy is good and the adrenaline reserve has been replenished.  So thank you Life.  Thank you very much.

Young MC,

Katie


And if you're still here:



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The cow bleeds and I benefit(ed)

relationsh*ts

Popcorn Farts