Under Pressure ONE.

I'm still trying to process everything that went on this weekend, I'm not even sure how I'm still awake at 10:45, the auto-pilot in me is currently in control.

Under Pressure, was, if I may use the expression, off the hook.  For those of you who may not know, Under Pressure is Montreal's annual graffiti convention, and an international one at that.  It's also the oldest in North America, if I'm not mistaken.  So, pretty rad right?

My friend Joe helps run the whole thing and has been my link into the scene.  I've always had a great appreciation for graffiti but it really took off when I bumped into him serendipitously one day in 2006 when I'd planned to do a small tour and take pictures of Montreal's street art.  I started in the Old Port for some dumb reason but as fate should have it, there he was and a few of us started a long walk that took us across the city and into some pretty awesome spots.

Skip ahead 5 years and I finally have gotten around to volunteering for the event.  And though my lower back, shoulders, arms, legs and feet are killing me, I'm so happy I did.  It's what all the cool kids are doing.

I'm not going to lie, I felt pretty cool.  Looking around, I was surrounded by Montreal's finest, most tattooed, stylish and truly hip people, not to mention the art and heart going up on the walls.  Throw in loud beats and a head bop or two, and you're automatically cool by association.  To my left and to my right: spraypaint cans, water bottles, and scaffolding.  I can't remember the last time I saw so many Nikons and Canons in one place.  Pretty sweet.

Tomorrow when the muscle aches are at their worst, I'm sure I'll go into greater detail of what went on start to finish.  And in case you didn't know, this festival would not be possible without the truckload of work put in by all the volunteers, organizers, the Garques and of course, the man behind it all, Sterling Downey.  I still feel a bit of  hero worship when I try to talk to him, haha.

Beastie Boys,

Katie

Under Pressure's Website

Comments

  1. Yes you have to do another one tomorrow from start to finsih, my brother and his friends are in it, but i have never went yet

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The cow bleeds and I benefit(ed)

relationsh*ts

Popcorn Farts