Crushing It.

The year is 2004. I'm 22, and working at the flagship Levis store in the Montreal Eaton Centre.  It's summer, and I'm a broke student.  The Parisians would come in and order their cinq-cens-uns, or say-son-euh, depending on how lazy their mouths felt at the moment of the request.

I had probably the most unpleasant boss I have ever encountered.  He definitely ran a tight ship, but I quit when he wouldn't let me have the weekend off so I could go to a family reunion.  God I miss getting a 50% discount on Levis... They make my butt look so good.

I'm slim, because I'm on my feet all day and barely making ends meet. My cupboards are empty.  I'm wearing shirts that expose my midriff and low-rise flared jeans.  I'm listening to Black Eyed Peas and discovering the club scene for the first time in my life.

I felt good.  I remember being coached on how to pick up at Sir Winston Churchill's pub.  Other than "picking a guy and going after him," you basically just have to stand there and you're guaranteed to have some slimeball hit on you.  I had been an awkward teen and never very confident about my looks so I appreciated the direction this friend of mine gave me.  Now she's married and has two kids, go figure.

I hung out that summer with two of my good guy friends from high school.  Five years after graduation, I remember being happy to show off my new slim and trim bod to these two dudes that never showed any romantic interest in me prior.  "People respect you Katie," my friend Chris actually said to me once in grade 11, explaining why guys weren't going after me in high school.  If they had respected my innermost desires, I would have slayed.  *Worth noting my gratitude for being respected, I know that's not always the case.

Remember those cherished memories you have of your first crushes, having those opportune moments to show off your awesome self?  Showing off my awesome self involved aggressive games of basketball and flamboyant granny shirts.  Respect might actually mean respecting the giant boundary I placed around myself subconsciously.

Huh.

I was driving down Dufferin this afternoon and I had a flashback to my near-first kiss with this friend of a cousin's, Kyle.  He invited me into his (probable white Honda Civic) car to show off the sound system and blasted Chemical Brothers.  I was 14.  He was 17.  I didn't even catch on to what he was most likely up to until today.



He wound up being my first kiss, funnily enough, but on the streets of Ottawa, two years later.  He requested my permission first, and my lips tingled for hours afterwards.  My blood vessels were like "THERE'S MORE TO LIFE THAN ICE CREAM?!!"

Oh body stuff.  I learned what "social pretences" meant that night.

And considering social pretences, as Kyle put it, I guess this is a good moment to explain the change to my blog.

I fired this puppy up almost 5 years ago when I was on a great raw food health kick, and things started flowing out of me like almond buttah.  (How's that for a terrible mental image?)

I still manage to incorporate raw carrots into my diet but for the most part my focus has changed.  I went through a pretty intense personal revolution in the last twelve months and I've determined that my goals feel strictly creative and my writing, my blog, my whole Katie package is starting fresh.

So there ya go.  I'll get into the mirror thing another time.

For now, I'm going to continue exploring my latest crush, Toronto.

Street noise,
Katie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

relationsh*ts

The cow bleeds and I benefit(ed)

Popcorn Farts