The Bachelor

Minutes from now, The Bachelor will be airing its second full episode, dedicated to the ridiculous idea that one can find a wife in a group of 20 - 30 women.  All gorgeous, all superficially "together," except for that one girl, who got a little too drunk last week and may have shown more of herself than originally planned for.

In the last hour, I've perused the colorful messages I've received on OkCupid, and swiped left on all but a few Tinder faces, in an aimless effort to find a partner, but not have to invest any actual real energy.

Recently someone asked me about my dating blog and why I wasn't posting as often.  My response (to him, thank you very much), was that I was working on something.  Working on something means that my Spidey senses were telling me that someone is interested, and I am also interested, therefore I must not speak of him publicly so that I may not "jinx" any hopes of getting a date with this winner of a person.

The catch is that my Spidey senses consist of a few Facebook likes and an over-active imagination. But that's enough for most people.  Most people (okay, my cousin, who is staying with me) do not overthink things.  People arriving in a new city do not care nor are interested in the various containers of baggage that potential partners travel with.

She showed up with a single suitcase, and is staying for 6 months.  I am impressed.

This strikes me as an appropriate attitude to have when perceiving people in a romantic way.

Okay, so, the Bachelor features one lucky single person who gets to hang out with babes and kick people off week to week in order to narrow the field of 20 people down to one person. Roses are handed out to potential mates.  Future wives, husbands, however you might want to define it. (Cut to, 6 women in bikinis about to tractor race in downtown LA).

Without listing the tonne of awesome gem quotes this show has to offer, one cannot forget the fairytale this is playing into.

"This could be the first date with my wife."  Case in point.

Stereotypes aside, this brave young farmer has come forward to honestly approach his love life and be open to hay bales in the city so that he can find The One.

At the end of the day, if we're honest with ourselves, isn't this what we all want?  To find our person?

If I had things my way, I would totally be up for a helicopter ride over the Grand Canyon and a romantic soundtrack edited into the videodiary of my date!

I WILL SAY THIS THOUGH.  Overalls in 2015 are bullshit.


Katie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

relationsh*ts

The cow bleeds and I benefit(ed)

Popcorn Farts