Out with the Old, in with the New(ish)

Something absolutely amazing happened today.

A few years ago during a punk festival I met a very friendly, cute guy - we'll call him Dan.  He had a sneeze attack at the bar I was tending and a Tom Arnold phone case.  That's right, Tom Arnold was on his phone case.  This dude was hilarious.  But - from Long Island.

Nonetheless, we hit it off immediately and kept in touch for the next 2 and a half years.  He came up for a show this October and was scheduled for 2 more here in the coming months and thus would be visiting with me then.  Almost nightly, he would send nice messages just to say what's up, and that he was thinking of me.  Days, then months of this went by.  Sometimes I was annoyed, but other times, in my loneliness, totally comforted by the idea that someone was thinking about me.

My cousin packed some sage in her suitcase to cleanse the spaces she will be visiting on her trip.  Being a total hippie, I was super into this and made a special request to extra sage the kitchen, in the hopes of finding more inspiration there.  Because I am a hippie.

A few days ago my fridge broke down and we lost a bunch of frozen food and condiments.  More of an inconvenience than a crisis, but still, I wasn't thinking about the sage until this afternoon.

Quite literally at the precise time that the old fridge was being dragged out and the new (ish) fridge was being brought in, I received a message from Dan.  I glanced down because I thought it was more updates from the homefront and was surprised to see an apology and the words "Dan is a piece of shit" attached.  It took me a few seconds to register what was happening, but yes, Dan has a girlfriend and he has had one for 3 years.

I thought the selfies of him and his "roommate" seemed pretty cozy...

So, as the garbage was being carried out of my apartment, the garbage was also being carried out of my heart.  And I can't tell you how liberated I feel!

I often wondered if my little side long distance ro(not-going-to-go-anywhere)mance was possibly holding me back from finding an actual relationship.  Like, how would I explain to a potential partner this dude who messages me all the time to say 'whacha up ta' and 'how you doin' and 'see ya K'.... Yep, it was pretty deep.

His girlfriend and I had a nice exchange....considering the circumstances.  Compassion and kindness goes a long way in a situation like this.  I knew who was writing to me right away.  That beautiful brunette in the pictures who I was told was just his roommate.

I don't feel like an idiot, although it might be easy to call myself one when at 32, I've been had, yet again!

I'm just glad that it's all out in the open now, so that she can hopefully move on and find someone honest, and maybe so can I.  And to quote her, "I hate when girls are hurting over boys that can't just tell the truth."

So, as I await to plug in the newish fridge my landlord picked up for me, as it settles, as my kitchen now has a working space for new inspiration, so do I.  Everybody's a little used anyway, right?

;)

Love,
Katie






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

relationsh*ts

The cow bleeds and I benefit(ed)

Popcorn Farts