Chestnuts Roasting on the open fire in my heart

If you can't beat em, join em, right?  That's the saying?

I feel like a Christmas warrior as I head into this holiday season.  Parum papum pum.  It's December 2nd, and I already put up my Christmas tree.  I've been listening to holiday classics since 4 pm.  F-it, I figure, might as well get this going.

It was like a scene out of a bad 30 year old's coming-of-age made-for-tv-movie, where you just see a montage of this girl facing her fears and getting tangled up in the Christmas lights, and feeling really proud of herself when it's all done.  There's a slow-motion grace to the whole event.

Well I definitely wasn't graceful, in my gramma sweater, a big scarf and actually getting my hair tangled in the lights.  No Clark Griswold here, just a modest single gal braving the storm that the holidays bring.

Last year was a brutal one, let me tell you.

Maybe it was the change in tradition (oh how it changes as we age!), maybe it was the cold weather, or maybe it was just me.  It sucked.  I mean the events surrounding me were great, family is always great and food is always great... but I wasn't feeling so great about, ya know. Stuff.

Stuff gets in the way sometimes when we're supposed to be enjoying ourselves.  It overshadows everything else and you wind up pouting in a corner somewhere with your whiskey, or Baileys, or whatever your drink of choice might be.  It got so bad on Christmas day that I made a vow to myself that I would volunteer at a soup kitchen should I be dealing with the same marital status this Christmas. Aaaaaand here we are.

Again.  A year went by fast.

Things are different though.  As the cold weather hit and I realized Christmas was just a few months away, I started telling people my plan, and they - well they thought it was dumb.  "You can't just not come to Christmas, Katie."

Okay okay okay.  So how do I not to be miserable for yet another Christmas?  How about... getting the F over it?! (as my cousin so gently put it).  Her words were blunt.

Being single is not a handicap, or a disability, it's circumstance and timing and involves another person who also has a say in things, but if it were a disability (hear me out), would you let your kid walk around with that kind of an attitude about it?  No.  Don't let it hold you back.  You're just as good as anybody else and deserve the best.  So let's get the F over it shall we?  At least for one Christmas?

Take a good look at your life, and realize you HAVE IT ALL.  And make that your mantra.  It'll help.  Now go and decorate something!

Thanks cous,

Katie


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

relationsh*ts

The cow bleeds and I benefit(ed)

Popcorn Farts