Feel the Fear and Don't do it Anyway. No don't actually do that.

Hello rest of June, you happened quickly, and ohhh! July! Weren't you just a splendid little month! Spent a lot of time watching comedy, soaking up as much funny as humanly possible, still didn't get the net until recently, but here I am! Back and as fabulous as ever. What a terrific summer.

Or was it, friends? Somewhere, somehow, in the span of just a few months, I've cracked. I'm cracked. I am crack. I'm on crack. No no no, just cracked. CRACKED UP! (Aaaaaaand this concludes my attempt at comedic writing.)

Now that that's out of the way, allow me to be honest. To speak the trouffe.

I can't remember the last time I failed at anything (and I'm not referring to writing bad blogs, ha). I've been thinking about it an awful lot lately, and there isn't really anything in recent memory that I can say was a big loss or a failure. I have had malfunctions, like when my skirt rode up my butt as I was walking my dog yesterday (how does a backpack manage to eat your clothes like that?!), or the many, many times I've stubbed my toe on the same couch foot... Lots of momentary malfunctions and went-nowhere dates, but nothing I can say really I failed at. So I must be doing pretty awesome. I must be killing at life! I must be on top of my game! An expert, a pro!  All signs point to being successful at living. And I could certainly get used to this way of life. Just casually coasting along, taking the easy route.

Maybe it's that I feel like I've plateaued. Funny, cuz I just moved to Saint-Henri (zing!), but no seriously. In my 32 years, I've never felt more comfortable. I just got cable and a home phone, for Crêpes sake. That's comfort. Now I never need to go out again, all the fun and entertainment I will ever need can be found from the comfort of my own living room. I get what's so appealing about television now! It's literally been over a decade since I've had cable.

Anyway, the point I am getting at is that I've morphed into this Katie's-in-a-Half-Shell sort of thing. Except there's nothing heroic about it. I've been wimping out, folks. Keeping myself safe from the face of rejection, of failure.  I haven't even been on a date in months!  Ohhh but it's so comfortable here! I don't have to look bad in front of other people!  I don't have to worry about saying something stupid, or doing something stupid, having that icky vulnerable feeling!

Yeah, but it ain't gettin' you nowheres, kid. No where, and fast.  Get out there and do it already.  Whatever doing needs gettin done.  Get to it.

There are so many lessons to be learned from stepping outside of your comfort zone.  That's really the best way to get better at something right?  (Or figure out something's worth abandoning forever)  Either way, you grow.  So expect to see me on more stages in the coming months telling jokes that may or may not make you laugh.

Have you got any good failure stories?

Peace and Love,

Katie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

relationsh*ts

The cow bleeds and I benefit(ed)

Popcorn Farts