Shelf-ish

I'm an hour early for a graduation ceremony so I'll take advantage of the free internet and do some writing.

I was just practicing the speech I'm about to deliver to a group of grade 6 students graduating from elementary school.  I got all choked up at the end of it, because the more times I read it, the more times I remember to take my own advice.

My closing words are be more you.  Be MORE you.  (That's not mine, that's Gabrielle Bernstein's, but it belongs to all of us now.)

The 3 months since I moved into my new place have blown by like a lifealanche.  Suddenly it's summer, Fringe, grad season, prom season, I'm days away from vacation and I feel like I'm being swallowed up whole.  Almost done, almost done,  I keep telling myself, and I'll get there, but a week and a half left of work feels like an eternity right now.  It's autopilot season, and that's the worst place to be.

Writing for myself and writing for other people are so totally different.  It's far more motivating to write something that I know people will read.  It makes me accountable and want to be a better me.

Stress, or whatever life ailment gets to you, so easily creates a divide between self and the day to day routine you might follow.  I'm just going to shelf my self so that I can make it through the week.  And then Friday comes, 2 days off, and you try to pack in as much R & R as you can.  Rest and relaxation, rum and rye, rooftops and roads, whatever it is, GOTTA GET IT IN.

But is it that replenishing?  I find so often that even on weekends I'm in autopilot.  Rushing around, doing whatever it is that will push me away from the things I'll need to do the following week.  Where's me in all of this?  Where is she?

My speech is all about aligning heart and mind.  Making sure they're on the same page.  It makes us feel good, makes us do good, yadda yadda.  But what's the glue?  Meditation?  Yeah, probably... the relationship we have with ourselves is the longest one we'll ever be in, but we don't always communicate so well huh?

In a few months these little ones will be off to high school, and on their own to make so many life decisions.  I made a lot of good ones, luckily, and definitely a few bad ones, but mostly when it came to fashion.  

It's time to get aligned again,
Katie

Comments

  1. Read this a bit late, but hey, better late than never! I remember the speech you gave at the class of 2012's graduation, obviously, since I was one of those grads sitting in the back row of the auditorium. Ms. Katie, your speech helped me so much! I remembered every word of it. It somehow made me stronger going into high school and soon entering 9th grade, I know it will still enlighten me in every way possible.
    I never got to thank you for letting me MC the talent show. You might think it was no big deal, but it really helped me grow and take opportunities that are/were given to me every since! I took a leap of faith this year and auditioned for a new school out of this province and got accepted. (300 competitive students auditioned for this school and only 60 or so go accepted.) I took your advice of "this is your life take the opportunities that are given to you that might lead you towards you future" and now I am a 14 year old girl who is thinking ahead of everyone and taking that leap towards her future! Thank you, Ms. Katie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy smokes Briana!!! Congratulations, that is really exciting news! You'll do great, and yes taking that leap of faith can be scary but it pays off in the long run huh? Good luck out there and enjoy!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

relationsh*ts

The cow bleeds and I benefit(ed)

Popcorn Farts