Starfish

I watched a clam swim away from under a starfish.  Apparently, somehow, the starfish is the natural predator for these little shelled dudes.  They wrap their legs around it, then break the muscles holding the shell together and will spit out their stomach to eat the meat whole and then swallow the stomach back up.  Pretty gross if you ask me, but also kinda cool.

Everybody's gotta eat right?

Starfish are one of those beautiful mysteries of the ocean to me.  How they can lose a limb and then grow it back.  Pretty wild.  I saw one that had lost two of its extremities and already had little nubs growing in.

Resilience.  How do you show it?  How do you manage to bounce back after a disappointment?  I guess it depends on the situation.  Matters of the heart usually lead to emptying ambre-filled glasses or eating a tub of ice cream right?  Preliminary measures to retrieving your grace.

It's a process we must all go through, and one we experience countless times over the course of our life.

This year has taught me to keep going with my head above my shoulders, with posture secured by a strong backbone.

And the stronger part of me has emerged, ready to take on the next challenge.

It's never an easy process... life's a bigger struggle when you're down an extremity or two.  You've got to hold on tighter to your convictions and beliefs in order to survive.

As I get older, this has gotten easier.  When you're young or in your teens let's say, trouble seems pretty immeasurable and can feel totally stifling.  You literally can't see past your struggle, not only because your brain isn't totally developed, but also because of the hormones pulsating through you.  Mountains out of mole-hills for years.  But then, gradually, you choose your battles, and find the rocks to cling to in times of doubt.

It's like we've got our own eco-system happening.  A reef.  Friends, family, home, travel, discovery.  It's nice here... try to enjoy it.  And if it's not working out for you, change spots.  ;)

Peace and love and starfish,

Katie




Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The cow bleeds and I benefit(ed)

relationsh*ts

Popcorn Farts