The Dartboard

I used to play darts in the basement of my grandparent's house in Lachute.  They had an old, beat up black and yellow one under the staircase and I remember loving the texture of the cork or rubber or whatever it was made out of.  I probably only played a handful of times, but it's one of those pieces of childhood that linger ya know?

The object of the game is so simple, throw a sharp, pointed object at the center and try to score a bulls eye. Bulls eye.  Bullseye, I like the way that sounds, so victorious.  More satisfying than hole in one or strike.  BULLS EYE.

I think some of us feel like we're walking dartboards.  The darts hang on by a string like a child's ping-pong paddle, people pick them up and the darts keep hitting us where it hurts most.  RIGHT IN THE HEART.  hahahaha

But I know it's not funny.  Love hurts people!  Especially when we feel we're not in control of it.  Some people might claim they are but I don't believe it for a second.  There's only so much you can suppress until it comes back to bite you.

I'm really good at handing the darts over, willfully. "Hello, stranger, step right up and break my heart!"

But at least I put myself out there, I suppose.  Even though it hurts most of the time.  I spoke to my cousin Kate this week and she's never had a hard time finding a mate.  She's always put her energy into her career, and I'm the exact opposite.  I have a great career, only no mate.

Maybe where we put our energy rejects like magnets do.

I'm plagued I tell ya.  There are moments of clarity, new pursuits and endless self-improvement, on my journey to find love.  And it's been a long one.  They say you always find what you're looking for the moment you stop looking for it, I just wish I could stop looking so damn hard.  It's easier for me to find a piece of it in someone and go full-throttle than to wait for the complete package.

Then again, I hear the voices of the married women in my life telling me that's a fantasy and you have to be willing to compromise at some point.  I don't know, maybe I'm just stubborn as hell to sticking to my standards, which, I'm told, are far too high.  It's not too much to ask for someone who is loyal, honest, funny, artistically-inclined, probably bearing a guitar and some flannel, is it?  Throw in a beard and blue eyes, some good life experience and insight into themselves, maybe even some spirituality?  Yeah.  That's not a tall order.  It's just that they're probably walking around like dartboards too, or someone has permanently locked up their darts.  SONOFA...

Oh life, you're so funny.

Mark Lanegan,

Katie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

relationsh*ts

The cow bleeds and I benefit(ed)

Popcorn Farts