A Trail of Inspiration

How did I get here?  I mean really, what the blip?

My grandfather and I used to have philosophical conversations about time and space, and God and meaning.  I would sit with him after supper and listen to his wisdom, to try and absorb it so that maybe one day I could be wise like him.  He's definitely my spiritual Guru, and now he has singing bowls and meditates daily.  He's also a big inspiration for the other old folks in the home because he's still in good shape, both physically and mentally.  Must be the Icelandic blood.  God love him, but he didn't treat his body very well.  He drank, and smoked constantly.  Eventually he quit both, and instilled better, healthier habits.  

A few years ago, he discovered that his eyesight seemed to improve after eating flax bread and blueberry jam.  He suffers from macular degeneration, which, for him, meant that he had black spots in his vision, shaped like a football.  He could see fairly well peripherally but couldn't see directly in front of him.  So when he'd talk to you, sometimes he'd turn his head slightly, which more than likely was also because of his hearing.  Anyway, the man started eating flax on everything, and he'd keep several jars of blueberry jam in his fridge at all times.  Like most old men, he'd buy them on sale.  There was also a mountain of tonic water cases in his closet, and the fridge was always stocked with chocolate soymilk, eggs and hamburger meat.  The quinine was for the muscle cramps, the soymilk because he can't stomach dairy, the eggs and meat are because he eats the same thing every day.  It's like he's discovered a regime that works, so why change anything?

He'll have toast with jam in the morning, an egg for lunch and burger for supper.  Every day.  He roasts the flaxseeds, then  grinds them, sprinkles them on his food, and keeps a silver spoon in his instant coffee which he'll suck on to get the colloidal silver into his system.  He claims this is the final ingredient which has given him his vision back.  And it's back, by the way.  He now sees very well, the black spots have shrunk to barely there, and his eye doctor is absolutely baffled by his progress.  It's unheard of.  In one year he was able to reverse the disease.  That's not supposed to happen.

It's just amazing how food can be so healing.  I won't pretend like he's perfect, he has high cholesterol, probably due to the fact that he eats the same thing every day I'm sure, but he's happy.  And at 84 years old, I think he's doing pretty damn good.

I went to see a palm reader a few years ago when I was visiting my cousin in Victoria, and she told me I'd have a long life, and still be able-bodied and walking at that age.  That's encouraging, isn't it?  Then again, I'd probably be really pissed off if she told me otherwise.  She told me several other things that have stayed with me, and have been quite accurate predictions.  The few that stick out are the ones that apply to what I'm doing with my life at this point.

She could tell right away because I wore my rings on my middle fingers that I was in the health field.  She also said I have a busy internal movie, and that she saw signs of a writer, actor, and photographer.  She said I'd be collecting pictures and then at some point I'd bring them all home.  I know I'm meant to go abroad, and if the rate at which I take pictures of my food is any indication to the trigger-happiness I'll enjoy on my travels, then I will have quite the collection to bring back.  She also said she saw me in the "beauty health" field.  I had no clue what that meant at the time, but now, three years later, it's starting to make sense.  

So that makes me wonder about the future, and the universe, and what the stars have in store for me.  I sense that right now, the universe is opening itself up to me, welcoming me with a calm and nurturing smile.  It's encouraging me to come its way, to see what's on the other side.  I envision its celestial arms widening to the sides of its threshold but I worry if I cross through I will be lost in space.  Friends and family have been so supportive and excited for me, pointing out the possibilities of where this could go, what could become of this, etc.  Just last night I pretty much signed myself up to teach a class on wellness two nights a week for 3 hours each. I mean, it's like stepping stone after stepping stone out there, and I feel like I could just hop along and prance from opportunity to opportunity without a care in the world.  But it's only been a week.  One week.  7 days.  Holy shit.

This morning I was woken up to the sound of my 6 year old niece humming to herself.  At 7:30 am.  She's a ray of sunshine, that one.  My mom and sister agree she's a lot like I was at that age.  My grandfather is convinced she's the reincarnation of my grandmother.  Technically I'm the reincarnation of Jeanne, my grandmother's sister, but that's besides the point.  Amy is pure, and everywhere she goes, she leaves a trail of creativity behind her.  Walking around my sister's house this morning, there were little signs of Amy everywhere.  On her bed were boxes of beads she'd used to make the necklace she sold to me for 3 dollars, in the living room, papers and markers and scissors from a craft she took on, and in the kitchen, on the white board, a beautiful drawing of hearts and shapes with smiley faces on them.  Some might call this little girl messy, but she's a walking inspiration to me and I could learn a lot from her.  I think that as the doors of life keep opening for me, I just want to make sure that I'm leaving something valuable behind, in each project I take on and each venture that comes my way.  So I'll move forward, with a strong head on my shoulders and my values in line with my heart.  That sounds pretty good.

I told my niece I'm going to commission her for a piece of art for my house.  She was okay with it.  

I am the passenger.  And I ride and I ride.

Peace and love,
Katie




Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The cow bleeds and I benefit(ed)

relationsh*ts

Popcorn Farts