100 Days of Writing - 50

I'm working on a pitch document for a teen gameshow.  And this is my 50th blog post this year.  Both those things make me feel real happy.

I can definitely vouch that practice makes.. gooder. 

I've enjoyed this process and this self-induced challenge, and I hope to continue towards the goal. 

I'm going to take a prompt tonight because I'm tempted to write about fluff.

"Does your name have a meaning?"

Well, I'll tell you what it's been like to grow up and be a woman with the name Katie.  I like my name, I do, and for a while I considered changing it to Kat among my high school peers because it felt more genuine than the little-girly Katie that I am.  I signed my journals with xKatx for a long time during my straight edge years, and I'm pretty sure I even had a pre-Facebook Facebookesque page by that name.

My parents were going to name me Kristen, actually.  Adam if I turned out to be a boy, but Katie came along after I was born because I was quite a tiny baby.  I was a mere 5 pounder, and sat in an incubator for a few days while my mom went home.  I wasn't a preemie, just a lil squirt.

Anyway, my mom says Kristen was too long a name for such a small baby, so they changed my name to Katie. 

I've always operated under this name, but it has sometimes left me feeling childish or like I can't be taken seriously.  I don't think that's true, I tend to give off a pretty serious aura upon first meeting me, but Katie strikes me as a kid's name, still.  Ahh, it's getting weird to think of my name as Katie and not just "I" and the letters are getting goofy and losing their meaning. haha.

I'm not a Katherine, not a Katelyn.  Just a Katie.  And maybe 3 people in my life call me Kate, and only they are allowed to.  Otherwise I much prefer Katie.

Oh!  BUT!  Having grown up in Quebec, I did develop an intense pet peeve of having my name pronounced, "Katsie," which is what happens when a francophone tries to say my name.  Kathy is not an uncommon name in French, but Katie certainly is, so they round up I guess.

NEVER.  Call me Katsie.

<3

Katie




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Popcorn Farts

The cow bleeds and I benefit(ed)

relationsh*ts